Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CycloneMan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
    Can I replace gas valve with universal valve?
    I have an older Carrier natural gas furnace (1970s). Pilot doesn't stay lit. New thermocouple didn't help. Repair man says I need a new gas valve, $700 plus install, suggests replace entire furnace. Can I replace valve with universal valve and save $$?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2010, 11:35 AM

No... You have to use the correct materieals rated for exposure to gas. Not only would it be dangerous... it could void your homeowners insurance. Work on gas lines most places require people certified to work with it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2010, 04:06 PM
    As long as the working pressure is the same and your valve is listed as an exchange it should work. Check prior posts that address this issue.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2010, 05:03 PM

Yes, almost all gas valves now are universal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace Coil kit for dryer gas valve (2 coils, new style) [ 4 Answers ]

RE: Whirlpool Gas Dryer How to replace Coil kit for dryer gas valve (2 coils, new style)?

Is there a universal txv valve for a carrier wshp unit [ 1 Answers ]

Ive called the factory and the txv valve is on back order until October 9 and I really need to get this unit up and running.

Should I replace my gas valve? [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane XV-90 is not heating on its own. When a thermostat calls for heat it goes through the following cycle: Combustion Blower Starts Igniter starts to glow I hear a click The igniter turns off after about 15 to 20 seconds The Combustion Blower Stops The Combustion Blower Starts The...

Universal Gas Valve 36c03-333 trouble shooting [ 2 Answers ]

Valve was installed 2 or 3 years back and has worked find. I can light the gas pilot light and it has stayed light for days. I has a little yellow in the flame. When the heater is turned on via the thermostat, the valve supplies gas to the main burner, it ignites and the pilot light is either blown...

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

View more questions Search