Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambermarkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 07:35 PM
    3rd degree theft. What should I expect?
    So I stole chapstick and a couple bottles of theraputic extract that amounted to 23 dollars from a grocery store in Oregon. Yeah I know it was bad and I severely regret it. What should I expect at my arraignment? I'm nineteen and my record was spotless before this incident with not even a traffic ticket. I don't have enough money for a laywer but I really want to know if there's anyway I can get my record expunged without it costing too much money. Also I've heard that If I get a dismissal then I can file for expungement right away. What is the process of a dismissal?
    wvguy1986 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2010, 03:52 AM
    You have the right to an attorney usually a (public defender) if you cannot afford counsel (lawyer), expect the worst and hope for the best in the criminal legal justice system, But beings you are charged with stealing chap stick I would expect a fine, court costs and restitution to the place you stole the supposed chapstick from, If the judge dismisses the case that is solely up to the judge, I see no other reason it would exceed the punishment described above, Worst case Scenario in this case is Probation, if they have hot evidence against you such as seeing you on camera, but in some instances the store will dismiss the charges if you payback the money equal to the amount of merchandise you stole and motion the court for a dismissal, I would use every angle like contacting the store to ask if you paid them back can they drop it, which usually they will get in contact with the prosecutor and say you paid it back, they just want it dropped
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2010, 08:50 AM

First of all, if you get a dismissal, you won't need an expungement because there'll be no conviction. A dismissal would come about if the store chooses not to press the charges. But if they do, given the nature of the crime, your age and this being your first offense, you can probably expect to be ordered to make restitution to the store and perform community service. If you are convicted I don't honestly know if an expungement is a possibility or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

3rd degree grand theft [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what penalty can someone receive in the state of Florida for a 3rd degree grand theft of a firearm & dealing in stolen property along with cannibis under 20 grams.. thanks.

Theft in the 3rd degree [ 2 Answers ]

So I am being charged with theft in the 3rd degree. I was house sitting for a friend. I had another friend over to watch movies. He had apparently stolen a gun and some vicadin. He was arrested and admitted to stealing the items. He has been charged. So why am I still being summoned to court?

Grand theft 3rd degree [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently charge with third degree grand theft in the United States, miami Florida. This is how the story goes, I got caught letting some friends take things from the store I was working in. The total cost was about $440. I was confronted by loss prevention and I admitted I let them get by...

View more questions Search