Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsjbrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Do I need to change my circuit breaker?
    Thanks for your reply. I purchased a PTAC unit and nowhere in the owner's manual does it indicate amps required; however, on the plug it has 20Amps so I'm assuming that what it requires. My question is that the circuit breaker is 30 amps, do I need to change it to 20 amps or is the 30amp breaker okay?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 04:17 PM

How about telling us the make and model?

What do the instructions/manual say? They would indicate the required circuit amperage.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 04:46 PM

Please describe the plug on your AC unit. If it in fact requires 20 amps and you have a properly wired 30 amp circuit you should be fine but plesae describe the plug and then the receptacle you have
    bsjbrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Looking at the NEMA Straight Blade Configurations chart, the receptacle is 6-20R and the plug on the unit is a 6-20P.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 1, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bsjbrown View Post
    the receptacle is 6-20R and the plug on the unit is a 6-20P.
    WHY do you have a 30A breaker feeding a 20A receptacle? That was wrong from the start.

Change the breaker to 20A and plug it in.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2010, 09:55 PM

The amps required by a unit, as recommended by manufacturer, should be size of breaker. If larger the unit will not be protected and if overloaded could cause a fire.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker change with power on [ 1 Answers ]

If there is no Main Circuit Breaker to turn power off, how do you add a new circuit breaker in an electric service panel?

Change circuit breaker for part of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am looking for info on how to change the circuit breaker that runs the front end of my house; i.e.. Bedroom, livingroom and front garage. It is a little black box with a 15 on it :) please help. Never realized how dependent we are on our appliances until now How do I change the little...

How to change a circuit breaker in a 200 amp box [ 7 Answers ]

How to change a circuit breaker in a 200 amp box

Change Circuit Breaker or add a new one? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 4 outdoor post lamps, each running 180 watts (720 watts total). I would like to connect the wiring to my existing switch attached to the existing patio light (100w). The circuit breaker (15 amp) currently installed is for the existing patio light, as well as many other lights...

View more questions Search