Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aniruddh Vyas Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Problems in focusing on studies
    I am in a reputed college pursuing my graduation. I was quite good at studies since my schooling and till I got good position in entrance exam for my college. But now it seems studies are only meant for taking them up just one week (sometimes one day) before exam. I am in the latter half. I've never seen such a condition of mine ever, it looks like I'm self distracting myself from studies. Everything else is just fine. Either I sleep or eat or spend time on my PC. The poor marks are making me afraid but I'm not able to gather strength to lift myself up. SMBDY HELP.
    gnine86 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2010, 05:57 AM
    Talk to a therapist. They usually offer them at colleges. I went though 4 different school before I had a series of events happen to make me more grounded. I ended up needing a lot of therapy and started to take medication for my ADHD and bipolar disorder problems. I am an intelligent person with emotional problems, bipolar disorder and ADHD. I was having a lot of trouble getting my... stuff... together, and I don't advise this, but if you think it is right for you if counseling or therapy won't help, take a break and get a job and try to regroup and refocus and try to find the motivation to keep going after you realize what you're missing without having a degree. If you just want to talk to me I'll be up for it.

Nov 5, 2010, 07:16 AM
    Comment on gnine86's post
    Thanks for suggesting,thing is that as I mentioned studies was never an issue for me before, I never had to think before prep for any exam.I have been a hard worker I know studies are important but still I like to spend time surfing on netjustdontstudy

Nov 5, 2010, 07:21 AM
    I am not able to get an hour session for studies... I'm somewhat addicted to my laptop.. I don't play games nor I watch so many movies but still I like to collect my fav artist's music collections that all gives me peace...

Nov 5, 2010, 07:24 AM
    I find studies boring now... how long will I be just studying.. I cannot go for a job now... job only after completing graduation.. good at studies will only bring a good job.. I just need something which helps me to be binded with my academics

Nov 5, 2010, 07:26 AM
    What can I do which motivates me to be regular with my studies... something which forces me to study... repels me from doing anything which drives me away from studies
    gnine86 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2010, 07:55 AM
    As much as you might think there is nothing wrong with you, you may also have an addiction and also have problems focusing in general. As a child were you able to read well, always able to study and sit down and focus on what you want to do, did you always interrupt class or speak when you were not suppose to, do you have problems with spending money or problems with impulse control in general?

I understand that you may have not had a problem before but it has been shown that people may have been able to get by and adapt with any problems they had, but when you get into college it's a whole other ballpark and you have to get into a new routine.

You know you have to study so see what happens, actually yeah, do this for me now. After you're done reading this, put your laptop away. Keep it away. Try to not even think about it. Get out a notebook or a piece of paper and write down your thoughts and what you did throughout the day. Tomorrow around this time open it back up and tell me how you felt and what you did. It might help to tackle one thing at a time, so lets just start at stepping away from the laptop.

If you don't want to do this then I don't know if I can help you right now because it would appear that you aren't 100% serious about wanting to get back on track. And I don't want you to do this for me, I want you to do it because you think it will help you.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 02:13 PM
    This is what is called 'hitting the wall'. It is that place, after a journey where you are very near the goal of crossing the finish line, and you hit that wall, that stops you cold.

Athletes are familiar with this, and they know that somewhere inside, they have to pull up the energy, to keep the dream alive, of finishing the task at hand. They push through the uncomfortable pain, and keep putting one foot ahead of the other, and they reach their goal.

This is not so much different from where you find yourself now. That push you need, you need to pull up from inside of you, and focus that energy on completing the task at hand.

You have much to lose by not finding that inner strength to carry you over the finish line. And most likely, if you don't get there, you will have to repeat the race, until you do.

Maybe get a good walk in to clear your head, focus on only the task at hand, and pick up that pen, and get to work!

Everything else can wait.
    eokhuijzen Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Nov 12, 2010, 03:44 AM
    I am a therapist and agree with some of the things mentioned above about being able to avoid ADD and now having trouble as an adult. You may want to at least just talk to a therapist and take a test - very simple. On the other hand it could just be that you are simply bored. Very normal!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I ll go abroad for studies [ 1 Answers ]

Working abroad for money&service

I want to know my marriage and studies [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know about my marriage and studies

I want to know about studies [ 2 Answers ]

I am 14 year old and born in punjab . And my birth date is 7oct1995 .

View more questions Search