Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doherty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2004, 02:25 PM
    Opening file in MSWord 2000
    Can anyone help me? I am in desperate need of help. I'm trying to open a MS Word document a friend sent me. However, when I click on it I get this message:

The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
    *Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    *Use the File Open dialogue box to locate the document.

I have full permissions and when I use the File Open dialogue box I get the same message.

I've tried to open it in Notepad and Worpad but half of it comes out in gibberish and some of it seems to be missing all together.

I've searched it for a virus and no virus was detected.

Can anyone help me? This is a 20 + page paper that preferably doesn't need to be re-written.

And help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Oh yeah, I'm using Word 2000 on Windows 2000 if it makes a difference.
    Dreamboat Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2004, 11:53 PM
    Opening file in MSWord 2000
    I'm sorry you didn't get help with this, but for next time:

--try opening the file with Wordpad

--try opening the file with Word; hit File-Open, from the files of type dropdown, choose "Recover text from any file". If you use that option, please make sure to later change it back to files of type "Documents" because Word doesn't put it back by itself...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insert -> Local File option not working in Word 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm having trouble getting my Insert -> Local File option to work in Word. When I click on it, the Select File window does not pop up. In Fact it doesn't do anything, except for a quick hourglass then back to Normal cursor. I'm using Office 2000 which is running off the...

Opening index.that file. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm writing this thread hoping someone can help me. I was trying to open the index.dat file located in the temporary internet files folder, but using notepad, the information appears unformatted and encrypted. Is there any way (program) to open this file and see the information with a...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

MSword requesting virus scan-?help [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with MSword. When I open a doc it takes a while and when I finally get word open there is a note on the bottom bar saying "requesting virus scan". Then it loads the document. I run a fast PC, late version of word, scan for virus with norton (updated weekly). Any thoughts on...

Opening an that file [ 1 Answers ]

What do I use to open it ?

View more questions Search