Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jan 3, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Can anyone name a star?
    There are companies out there selling the right to name a star. How legitimate is this?
    International Star Registry: Name a Star
    butterfly1970 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Not really sure how safe they are but my father-in-law received a star a few years back as a gift. He named it and sent in the paperwork and they sent him a certificate with the location of his star and the new name of the star.
    :confused:
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 3, 2007, 09:13 PM
    I actually looked all this up a month or so back. I received a star in my name as a gift 2 years ago, and recenlty a friend wanted a cool gift for his wife so I suggested it. As I searched for the site that mine may have come from I stumbled upon som reviews about actually buying stars etc.

Basically these companies, International Star Registry, have a list of stars that NASA has documented. The COMPANY will name a star for you, but its not like NASA or any other science company/program will ever use the name you choose to identify your star. Its basically one of those 'oh the it's the thought that counts' kind of gifts...

Better said here: Wired News: Buy a Star, But It's Not Yours

"The star names sold by the International Star Registry are not recognized by any professional astronomical organization."

The International Astronomical Union is the only scientific body authorized to name astronomical bodies.

"We produce a good product, a fun product. We may have planted a seed with people, educated them even slightly about astronomy, about the stars," said Rocky Mosele, vice president of marketing and advertising for ISR. "For people to say, 'Well, it's not official' -- I think people are OK that it's not official. I'm sure of it. I know because customers call again and again and again."

EDIT: here is another helpful site; Interesting information about Star Registry companies
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Nobody will use your name to refer to the star. Astronomers will continue to use the number that each star is assigned when it is documented.

However I do believe that the star will be unique to you and your name will be the only one.

And it is a rather nice gift :)
    rrr Posts: 91, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 01:29 AM
    I personally would never sell such an immense source of energy...
    LOL!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 01:50 AM
    I think you don't own the star, you just get to name it. However if anyone is selling celestial bodies, I would like one. Or two.

You could charge taxes on anyone who uses the energy provided by your star (a very small amount for each solar panel on Earth). Probably. This is without taking into account every farm that uses your star's energy to produce food which they then sell on for their own profit!! And don't even get me started on the rainforests.

Jan 4, 2007, 03:53 AM
    Exactly what I meant! Capuchin, we should start a company together!

Jan 4, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Thanks!!
    -

Jan 4, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Thanks to everyone for responding to the question. Good info.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Wouldn't you rather have a planet named after you than a star? After all, your friends will be much more impressed! So here's what I'm going to do - send me $50 and I'll name a planet for you! And I'll send you a certificate and nice map showing you where your planet is.

Next week I will be running a special on naming countries... think how envious your friends will be when they find out that where they live is now named after you!

You may wonder how I have the authority to do this? Of course I have the same authority as any of those other outfits that claim to name a star for anyone who sends in some money.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Hey its Legitimate, Got used Galaxy, if your interested.
    -

May 4, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Hey its Legitimate, Got used Galaxy, if your interested.
    Ever read Issac Asimov's short story "Buy Jupiter" ?
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 19, 2007, 06:12 PM
    The rights to name a star belong to whoever discovered the star I guess
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

May 22, 2007, 04:04 AM
    ebaines, the legal rights to name the star goes to the astronomical union.
    Laws are not rights.
    In singapore, its illegal to be homosexual, yet many believe that people have the right to choose!
    So, the moral rights, in my opinion, rest with the discoverer of the star.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie Star Salaries [ 6 Answers ]

This is more out of curiosity than anything else. I was just reading an article about actresses such as Nicole Kidman, Halle Berry and Drew Barrymore that earn between $10 million and $20 million per movie, and actors like Tom Cruise and Jim Carrey that get up to $25 million per movie. My...

Any Star Trek fans on here? [ 17 Answers ]

Just curious to know if there are any Star Trek fans on here, or if you are close to anyone who's a major fan. I've never noticed much posted about Star Trek in the Television and Movies sections, so I was just wondering. I would say I personally enjoy watching the shows, all except Enterprise,...

Star Wars [ 10 Answers ]

Does anybody know if George Lucas is secretly making another Star Wars movie? After I saw Episode III I went home and watched Episode IV, V, and VI. I read some article that said he may be writing a new one, but was just wandering if anyone else knew for sure.

Twin star system [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about twin star system with 2 stars (similar in mass) What would be a shape of planet orbit in these system? Is it possible existing 8-shaped orbit? Is it possible existing of planet in the centre of gravity in this system?

Star Valve [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Guys! I have a new plumbing problem, I think :-/ I came home from the beach and was greeted by a notice on my door from the county water department. It read, "We were doing a random inspection of homes in the area and discovered your star valve was leaking". It went on to say, "Please...

View more questions Search