Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vmoney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Illinois Credit Card Debt Collection Question
    Hello,
    An attempt was made to serve me with papers for a credit card debt today. The debt was about $3,000, and I live in Illinois. I recently suffered a wage reduction at work, and my boyfriend moved out, causing my bills to double. Plus, I had an emergency surgery that created additional bills, which I have paid off. What are my rights? Can wages be garnished?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2010, 03:39 PM

You say an attempt was made? What do you mean by attempt?

You have the right to a fair hearing which means the plaintiff has to prove the debt. If they do so or if you do not answer the summons then they will get a default judgement. They can use that to garnish your salary or attach your bank accounts.

So you need to accept the summons (dodging it only delays the inevitable) and file an Intent to Defend. You then send a cop of the Intent letter to the plaintiff requesting verification of the debt. In the letter you can state that, if they can prove the debt, you are willing to negotiate a payment plan.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 05:50 PM

Yes, you need to accept the summons, if not, they will use other methods of notice, have a hearing and you will lose and owe what ever the credit card company says you owe

You have the right to defend yourself in court, to ask them to prove the debt and to show that all funds asked for, are called for in the credit documents.

But yes, at the end of the day, if they win, they will have a right to get a judgement and garnishment if you do owe the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card debt in collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

I became unemployed in September of 2008. Prior to unemployment my credit history was excellent. With the job market as it is now I have been unable to gain unemployment. In January of 2009 I sent certified letters and made phone calls to several of my credit card companies to lower the rate and...

Overseas Credit Card debt collection affecting credit rating in Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I do live in Canada and I have an outstanding CC debt with a world-renown bank in the UK, but for reasons beyond my control I am unable to make overseas payments. It is not a matter of not trying or wanting to pay, but other reasons are involved... How could or will non-payment of a...

What is the statute of limitations in Illinois for credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations for credit card debt in Illinois. Capital One Bank filed suit 5 years and 7 1/2 months after the last payment/transaction on the account. Isn't that subject to dismissal as beyond the five year (I beleive) limitations period in Illinois?

Overseas Credit Card Debt Collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have a credit debt (around CAD8,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore and I have now returned to Canada. Can they come after me in Canada for the outstanding amount and do you think they would take any legal action to collect this amount. The only thing they've done so far is send...

Credit Card Debt Collection [ 5 Answers ]

I am beign sued for an old credit card debt in GA. Last date of activity was July 2001. I answered the complaint with SOL as a defense. I am now scheduled for court ordered mediation in about 2 weeks. Is it too late to ask for proof of the debt? If not, who do I send the request to? I cannot...

View more questions Search