Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cocernedwife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
    What happens after a hit and run in ga?
    What happens after a hit and run in ga? My husband and another car bumped into each other and the other car left... so my husband parked waited and looked at the damage and decided it was minimal and walked down the street to meet myself and the kids for trick or treating .when we returned to the vehicle there was a man and a crowd of people saying ' you hit my car' and acting all crazy and violent.my husband gave the insurance info and left because the kids were scared and the guy was acting violent.we never got his name or info.now I am concerned that it was technically a hit and run... on my husbands part and the other party... what do I do? Nobody was hurt it was very little damage but I am sure they have my info what if they file some kind of charge on me??
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 02:57 PM

You made the mistake of not immediately calling the police. You may still be able to file a self-report with the local police department. Of course, not having any of the other driver's info. doing so would be of very minimal value. If he files any kind of charges, your best recourse will be to file cross-charges; fight fire with fire.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 03:02 PM

Report this to your insurance company. If the guy follows up with them, they will have your report already on file.

Did you get any info about him or his insurance?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cocernedwife View Post
    what do I do?? nobody was hurt it was very little damage but I am sure they have my info what if they file some kind of charge on me???
    Hello concerned:

You cannot be charged with a CRIMINAL offense. At the worst, it'll be a ticket... But, since the cops weren't called, it's not even going to be that. Relax...

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 05:29 PM

If the other party called the police after you drove off, then it will be a hit and run and basically you loose your drivers license normally for at least one year. ( IN Georgia) The fact you gave them your info, may be a defense to it, and you will need an attorney.

1. was this the same car that you said drove off to start with ? If so, where did they go and come back
    2. or was it a different car ?

Most likely expect them to have or claim 1000's of dollars of damages, most likely some medical bills and they will threaten to sue you, and then settle with your insurance company. This is a fairly common scam, most likely he drove off at first to get other people to be witnesses. ( my guess) So report it all to your insurance company, if they contact you don't talk to them, just turn it over to insurance company

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hit and run [ 2 Answers ]

I accidentally scrubbed a car at a shopping complex. I usually do not park close to other cars because I'm a fairly new driver and I'm a horrible parker, however today there was a heat advisory and it was scorching hot, so I wanted to get as close as possibe... then bam! This parking spot is right...

Hit and Run [ 4 Answers ]

My car was hit in my school's parking lot and they might be able to find out who did it. My passanger side mirror is broken but that's it. How much trouble can someone get into for that? Isn't that a hit and run.

Hit and run [ 4 Answers ]

I was just in an accident, the other guy ran stop sign and ran. His bumper fell and we got his license plate, but I don't have insurance. I called the police and made a report. I gave them a copy of my expired insurance. What's going to happen?

Hit and run [ 3 Answers ]

HI While my car was parked at a shopping centre it was bumped by another vehicle,the driver of the vehicle did not leave any details,I got cctv footage from a petrol station Nearby showing the incident,this vehicle stopped at petrol station before it bumped My vehicle,I can see vehicle leave...

Hit And Run [ 9 Answers ]

I was recently accused by neighbor of colliding with his car and crushing his door with my hitch on my bumper. Both cars were examined by the inscurance company but there was no damage to my vehicle nor any witnesses to the incident. The inscurance company has closed the file because of no physical...

View more questions Search