Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fyogi1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2004, 10:16 AM
    Excel count function
    I am trying to count a large group of cells that are colored depending on the data. For example: I want to count the number of red cells which are faults. I tried the countif but not sure how to set the criteria.

Thanks for any help.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 7, 2004, 03:03 PM
    Re: Excel count function
    Here's the basic syntax

=countif(cells, condition)

so you would take whatever you are calculating as a fault and put that under the conditions part (for example, <5). The cells are whichever ones you are trying to count with (ie. a1:e5). Assign this to a cell being sure to have an = at the beginnging to show that it is a calculation, and that cell will show the number of cells in a1:e5 that are <5.
    fyogi1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2004, 06:22 AM
    Excel count function
    Thanks for your response. I got that far but I want to set the condition as the color, not a number or text in the cell. I have a workbook with multiple cells filled in with different colors. I want to count certain color of cells.
    Dreamboat Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2004, 11:57 PM
    Excel count function
    Hi, fyogi1.

This requires a user-defined function (UDF). Check out Chip Pearson's site:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

I'm sure it's a bit late, but you'll have it for next time.
    leif5233 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2004, 02:53 PM
    Try this code
    Create this function:

Function CountCol(SumRange As Range, intColor As Integer) As Integer
    Dim I As Integer
    Dim Cell As Range

Set SumRange = SumRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllFormatCondition s)

For Each Cell In SumRange
    If Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = intColor Then
    I = I + 1
    End If

Next Cell

CountCol = I

End Function

Then in the cell where you would like the total, put the following formula:

=CountCol(a1:a100,6)

That formula will show you the total count of all cells with colorindex of 6 (Yellow) in range a1:a100. You can fix it up to use color names if you like, but this works fine for me. There is a listing of basic colorindexes in Excel's help.

Hope this helps,
    Leif
    DANZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 10:32 PM
    is there anyway to recalculate the total if a colour is changed? As it seems excel doesn't class a fill colour as a value.
    leif5233 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2005, 08:07 AM
    Re-calcs
    There are cleaner (and more complicated) ways to auto-calc, but the simplest I can offer is this. Add:

Application.Volatile (True)

Above the "Dim" statements in the code I listed before.

Then, just hit "F9" every time you want the cells to recalc.

If you want it to recalc automatically, you'll have to create a class module and override one of the application object's standard events. Here's a link for you to check out if interested:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.microsoft.com/exceldev/articles/xlevnts.htm
    Leif
    h_arveys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2006, 07:10 AM
    I have the same issue. I want to count the number of entries that are "RED". I know there is an excel formula that does it because I have done it before. Unfortunately I have deleted the work book that had the formula so I am searching for it again.

example: =countif(a1:a15, fontcolor="red") or something like that... I have tried all the variations I can think of so I must not have it right.

Any ideas?
    cltan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 09:08 PM
    First open the Workbook in which you wish to count or sum cells by a fill color. Now go into the Visual Basic Editor via Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) and then, from within the Visual Basic Editor go to Insert>Module to insert a standard module. Now, in this module, enter the code as shown below;
    Function ColorFunction(rColor As Range, rRange As Range, Optional SUM As Boolean)

Dim rCell As Range

Dim lCol As Long

Dim vResult

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

'Written by Ozgrid Business Applications

'www.ozgrid.com

'Sums or counts cells based on a specified fill color.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

lCol = rColor.Interior.ColorIndex

If SUM = True Then

For Each rCell In rRange

If rCell.Interior.ColorIndex = lCol Then

vResult = WorksheetFunction.SUM(rCell,vResult)

End If

Next rCell

Else

For Each rCell In rRange

vResult = 1 + vResult

End If

Next rCell

End If

ColorFunction = vResult

End Function
    =ColorFunction($C$1,$A$1:$A$12,TRUE) to SUM the values in range of cells $A$1:$A$12 that have the same fill color as cell $C$1. The reason it will SUM in this example is because we have used TRUE as the last argument for the custom function.
    To COUNT these cells that have the same fill color as cell $C$1 you could use:
    =ColorFunction($C$1,$A$1:$A$12,FALSE) or =ColorFunction($C$1,$A$1:$A$12) by omitting the last argument our function will automatically default to using FALSE.
    Be aware that the changing of a cells fill color will not cause the Custom Function to recalculate, even if you press F9 (Recalculates the whole Workbook). You will need to either, select the cell and re-enter the formula, or go to Edit>Replace and replace = with =, or use Ctrl+Alt+F9
    Try also to avoid the use of Application.Volatile as it will not help in this case and only slow down Excel's calculation time.
    muscleflex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2010, 04:24 AM
    Thanks to retsoksirhc. His solution worked for me and I have been searching online since last week!
    Thanks
    bgloyalty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 02:33 PM
    This works great for counting the number in the cell, which is what it says it does. But I want to count the number of cells that are that color, regardless of what value is inside (the values will be letters). I've tried modifying the module but haven't been successful. Any help on how to get excel to do this?

Thank you!
    James

First open the Workbook in which you wish to count or sum cells by a fill color. Now go into the Visual Basic Editor via Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11) and then, from within the Visual Basic Editor go to Insert>Module to insert a standard module. Now, in this module, enter the code as shown below;
    Function ColorFunction(rColor As Range, rRange As Range, Optional SUM As Boolean)

Dim rCell As Range

Dim lCol As Long

Dim vResult

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

'Written by Ozgrid Business Applications

'www.ozgrid.com

'Sums or counts cells based on a specified fill color.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

lCol = rColor.Interior.ColorIndex

If SUM = True Then

For Each rCell In rRange

vResult = WorksheetFunction.SUM(rCell,vResult)

End If

Next rCell

Else

For Each rCell In rRange

vResult = 1 + vResult

End If

Next rCell

End If

ColorFunction = vResult

End Function
    =ColorFunction($C$1,$A$1:$A$12,TRUE) to SUM the values in range of cells $A$1:$A$12 that have the same fill color as cell $C$1. The reason it will SUM in this example is because we have used TRUE as the last argument for the custom function.
    To COUNT these cells that have the same fill color as cell $C$1 you could use:
    =ColorFunction($C$1,$A$1:$A$12,FALSE) or =ColorFunction($C$1,$A$1:$A$12) by omitting the last argument our function will automatically default to using FALSE.
    Be aware that the changing of a cells fill color will not cause the Custom Function to recalculate, even if you press F9 (Recalculates the whole Workbook). You will need to either, select the cell and re-enter the formula, or go to Edit>Replace and replace = with =, or use Ctrl+Alt+F9
    Try also to avoid the use of Application.Volatile as it will not help in this case and only slow down Excel's calculation time.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
    The ColorFunction has 3 parameters, if you leave out the 3rd parameter or set it to FALSE, then it will give you a count, just like you want.
    anshul89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
    Thanks cltan... Your solution worked for me. Cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Sincerity Count? [ 20 Answers ]

I have often heard some Christians say that sincerity doesn't count if it is based on innacurate knowledge and that such ignorance can lead to ultimate destruction at the hands of God. I disagree with this concept. Do you? They cite the following scripture to support their conclusion. Romans...

Count in the Report [ 5 Answers ]

Dear... I have aquestion about the report . I give you example . Table: Size Date FCL 1 X 40' 2/6/2006 FCL 2 X 40' 5/6/2006 FCL 3 X 40' 9/6/2006

How to remove a character using Excel function [ 3 Answers ]

Could anyone know if there is any Excel function that I can use to remove a certain character from a text string, e.g. 1). Remove space from "acurve is what" 2). Remove "-" from "acurve-is-what" 3). Remove "'" from "acurve'is" And so on. Thanks a lot!

Count my web page [ 3 Answers ]

Please, tell me on what site I should register my web page in order to obtain information about how many people visited my web, from what country they accessed my web page. The latter is necessary. Thanks.

View more questions Search