Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trose222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Computer crash-Can it be fixed-if not, can I install windows 7 to still use it?
    3 yr old HP pavilion m8020n desktop with vista-blue screen. Can't find a recovery kit online at HP. My diagnostics disc seems to say it is software but I can't remove anything in safe mode. When I shut it down I got a message that Jing wasn't shutting down and should it shut it down. I said yes and the next computer boot was the blue screen. I've run out of options that I can try-not techy. Can a tech fix this and get it back or if not...
    Would installing Windows 7 work or is there damage that won't allow me to do anything but get a new computer?

Thank you for any healp!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 10:53 AM

When I have problems with my computer I always do a complete reinstall of my operating system. This way I start fresh and skip the headaches of trying to undo problems like you describe. I also keep anything I want to "save" permanently backed up on my stand alone hard disk. Worth it's weight in gold if you ask me. This way I've successfully reinstalled my O/S many times in the past 5 years when I pick up a bug that I can't get rid of.

Of sure, you can hire a tech to redo your machine but do you really want to part with the dough he's going to nail you with?

And as for any damaage to your computer at this stage if you can reinstall your O/S you should be fine and dandy. But if you DO reinstall your O/S you WILL lose everything that's on your computer. So I hope you have an external HD...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you install windows xp from one computer to another with out disk [ 9 Answers ]

I have a copy of windows xp but it got cracked and they will not give me another they say I have to buy another one and there is no way in h I can afford it can you take one computer with xp pro on it fully working and healthy but the other computer I completely formatted before I realized it was...

Horrible Computer Crash [ 1 Answers ]

I've been experiencing these horrible crashes while on my mother's boyfriend's computer. He has a $2,000 computer, so you would think it would be free of crashes. Anyway, it will spontaneously shut down anytime. It doesn't matter whether I'm on Mibba, Youtube, Myspce, Facebook, Twitter, or playing...

Downloading Windows Media Player 11 caused my computer to crash. [ 6 Answers ]

I was downloading Windows Media Player 11 on my HP Compaq Presario with XP, when suddenly it went totally dark. Nothing comes on a completely dark screen and the PC tower went as if dead. You know that little flashing light on front of HP tower? Well it just went a steady glow, no flickering like...

New drivers make games crash computer. [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a vga driver disk plus all its components on my computer plus the utilities the disc that came with the motherboard and now my computer starts blue screening whenever I open games. I tried to uninstall but that does no good. The windows tried to warn me but I pressed continue so...

Computer crash [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm facing this problem that my computer is shutting down sometimes and dispaying a message mentioning "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" and something like: " settingsmodifier:win32/possiblehostsfile hijack". I have no idea what I shall do. Please any help?!

View more questions Search