Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamii3fb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 03:10 PM
    Can a christian girl have a catholic boyfriend?
    I want to convert to a Christian but I have a Catholic boyfriend... I'd tell him to convert but then it'd be againt his family's beliefs.. is it possible for him to still be my boyfriend even though I'm Christian and he's Catholic?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 03:39 PM

Ummmm, Catholics are Christians -- in fact, they were the FIRST Christians back in the early days of Christianity. (I'm Protestant, by the way.)

You see, the Western world was Catholic until 1517 when the Catholic monk Martin Luther posted 95 theses (things he didn't like about Catholic teachings and practices). That started the Reformation. After the Reformation struggles ended, there was a division in the Christian Church -- Catholics and Protestants (Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Anglicans, etc.).

Catholics and members of the various Protestant churches are all Christian.

What church body are you planning to convert to?

Oct 30, 2010, 03:44 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post

To be honest with you, its like... my cousin is a hardcore Christian and he's been preaching me about the BIble and Jesus Christ n everything. I consider myself Catholic because I come from a Catholic family, but I'm not baptized.

I'm ignorant when it comes to religion :/
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 03:52 PM

What church does your cousin belong to?

Your parents didn't have you baptized when you were a baby? That's hard to believe.

Oct 30, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Yeah I guess they wanted me to choose on my own once I grew up..
    I think its some evangelical church I don't know ill have to ask him..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 03:57 PM

Can you ask one of your parents if you were baptized? It would be very unusual if you weren't.

They probably didn't take you to church if they wanted you to decide for yourself someday?

But tell me this: How can someone decide if he or she is totally ignorant about religion and has absolutely NO religious training or education at all? How would that person decide with no prior understanding of religion?

Oct 30, 2010, 04:05 PM
    Well that's the thing, I've BEEN wanting to get religious education.. I'm 16 and I know I'm still young and everything but I've been wanting to decide on a religion. I was just wondering whether its wrong to have a Catholic boyfriend is I become Christian..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 04:33 PM

Catholic = Christian

Christian = God sent His Son Jesus to Earth to reconnect humans to God by taking away their sins. Jesus did this by dying on a cross, then rose again and returned to Heaven. Christians believe that Jesus will return someday and take them back to Heaven with Him.

Therefore, no problem with the Christianity part.

What brand of Christian would you become?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 07:13 PM

A catholic is a Christian , it is just one of the many denominations that are Christian. So unless your denomination is one of the few that dislikes catholics then there is no issue with it at all. Many denominations don't like some of the other denominations,
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2010, 08:29 PM

Sure. A Christian girl can have a Catholic boyfriend. Personally, I think just because you two have different religions, doesn't mean you can't be together. Just like it doesn't mean someone with a different nationality can't be together.

Although, it might pose some conflicts. You will have to figure out if those conflicts will stand between you two or not. If so, it might be best to find someone with similar interests. GL.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 07:26 AM

It's possible, depending on his priorities and your priorities. Forget the idea of either of you "converting" from one to the other. If one of you "must" convert in order for the relationship to be viable, then there's your answer. Also look at the long haul ; suppose you had children together. Would you be willing to have them raised in a faith other than your own? Would he? That's one area where religious differences often become an issue.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 07:26 AM

You can date any one you want to as long as your parents are cool with it. That's a great way to learn about how other people see the world.
    annabean Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Nov 1, 2010, 05:42 PM
    As explained above, Catholics are Christians. And yes, non Catholic Christians (i.e. Potestants) can go out with Catholics. They can also marry each other. My mother is Catholic and my father is Protestant - it's a very common combination.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2012, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DezzyD View Post
    I had a christian boyfriend and he broke up wit me because hes religion. im catholic and is he allowed to be with me or no?
    Yes, he can be with whomever he wants to be with. He may have used that as a reason because he didn't want to hurt your feelings. Or perhaps his family has views that strongly favour him only being with someone who believes exactly as they do. You would have to ask him for the exact reason for breaking up with you.
    If you are Catholic, you are a Christian.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can hindu girl marry a christian catholic boy? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a Hindu girl and I love a Christian catholic boy. I want to marry him but before that I want to know is there something written regarding not to marry non-Christian in bible? Can I marry him?

Catholic and Christian Marriage [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am Catholic and my fiancée is Protestant Christian. We plan to get married soon but we both agree that we want to give respect to each of our own beliefs. With this we agree that we have two weddings. The first one would be Catholic and with families only and the second one would be the...

Can I marry catholic girl without being converted to catholic? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am hindu boy and my girlfriend is roman catholic we both are from india we have decided to spend our life together, my girlfriend wants to marry in roman catholic church as she said its her marriage with me will not be held valid till she get married in church as per christianity and also...

My wife is a christian and I'm a roman catholic [ 62 Answers ]

We got married at her church and now she is suggesting for a baby girl to be baptised at her church but, I kind of want her to have her christining at my church? This religion thing between us didn't come to my mind at all when I married her. I truly love her but need some advice. I honeslty...

View more questions Search