Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michael Allen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Metal or wood studs
    Which is better in building a house wood or metal studs in the basement?
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Aug 27, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Did you find your answer?

I'm sorry no one helped you here. We work hard to get every question but some slip through the cracks. Let us know if we can help you with anything else!

Take Care, BC
    HelpSkippy Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
    You will need to be more specific. i.e. what partition do you require? A partition between a corridor/ kitchen for example is different to an acoustic partition?

Generally speaking, in the UK, steel partitions are cheaper. Steel however, has a lot of embodied energy compared to timber, so timber is the more sustainable option. What are the finishes to be applied to the partitions?

I also think steel partitions can be slimmer than timber partitions, although I may be wrong here. You can probably go down to 75mm thickness for steel partition, compared to 100mm thickness for timber.

Be more specific.

Also consider the feel for the space. Timber moves, whereas steel and concrete are very static. Walking across a timber floor is a different experience to walking across a steel/ or concrete floor.

What is the main frame for the house? Maybe you want to build a timber house? Then surely a timber partition would be the sensible option? Whereas a glass and steel house would suggest steel... etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing a door opening with metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am adding a guest bedroom and bath to our finished basement. I purchased 2 1/2 wide studs (as they were less expensive). However I don't know how to fram the door opening with this size stud. Do I need to return the 2 1/2 and exchange or the normal size stud or is there another...

Using Wood Studs with Metal Studs [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of adding a guest room and bath in my basement. The currect wall studs are metal. I have never worked with metal stud before therefore I am wondering if I should continue with metal or can I use wood as well. The current studs look like they are 24 oc. I have to frame in a...

Placing insulation using metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to attach insulation to the metal studs? There is got to be something better than tape, maybe a wire? Please help-=

Advice needed on framing - replace metal studs? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for some advice regarding a "Yoga RopeWall" I am helping to construct for a friend's Yoga studio. A rope wall is basically a wall of 3/4" plywood with ropes hanging from it that are used for various Yoga poses. Originally, the wall was covered in mirror. When we took that down, we...

Metal vs. Wood stud walls [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am planning our basement and would like to get anyone's opinion on using metal vs wood to do the framing. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and can be done in a more quick time frame. I also did some research and the costs are identical...

View more questions Search