Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JFlippin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2010, 08:44 AM
    The recipe calls for flour-do I use plain or self-rising??
    I have looked at several recipes that I want to try. Some call for flour, but do not specify plain or self-rising. Is there some unspoken rule that it implies one or the other?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 08:58 AM

Just use plain enriched white flour. What is it you want to bake ? Most recipes just say l or 2 cups or so of [B]flour[/B. Meaning plain flour.
    spencerfirst Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Use your regular kitchen variety flour (enriched) unless the recipe your following calls out specifically for "Self Rising". If the recipe is hand written from a friend, then I suggest contacting that person directly and asking them. If the recipe is written professionally and published, then they would specify the flour if anything other than regular flower.

Many successful dishes to you "Tickle" :)
    cbbowli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
    Thank you for your help. I was confused because the recipe called for flour and baking soda but not salt. I will try the plain flour since it did not specify self rising

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a recipe that calls for two cups of self rising flour. [ 2 Answers ]

I am baking above 5000 ft. What amount of regular flour plus baking soda and salt would be the equal of two cups of self rising flour.

Self rising flour [ 1 Answers ]

Mostly we use all purpose flour. My wife made some donuts, did not add Any spices, yet the donuts came out very salty, had to throw them out. I also tried to make gravy did not use any spices, but the gravy was Very salty too. What is it with this flour, I know it has baking powder/soda But...

Plain or SR flour [ 1 Answers ]

I have some flour in a storage jar and I can't remember if it is plain or self-raising.! I seem to recall that there is some way of telling...

Self raising flour v plain flour + baking powder? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm making jam drops with my kids and I only have self raising flour in the pantry can I use it instead of the plain flour and baking powder?

Plain flour vs all purpose flour [ 1 Answers ]

Most of my cake recipes call for plain flour. When I use all purpose flour my cakes do not turn out the way they used to. The cake is not as fluffy as it used to be. Should I add baking powder to the recipes?

View more questions Search