Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lady_joker Posts: 4, Reputation: -2

Oct 29, 2010, 09:16 PM
    What is the legal age in mn?
    Hi I'm wondering what is the legal age in Minnesota I am 14 years old and my boyfriend is 18 I've read that the minimum months apart in mn is 48 months witch me and him are 48 months apart but I'm still not sure ?
    My other question is that he is becoming a resident of the united states and id like to know if its posible for him 2 not become a resident because I'm pregnante? If its possible what's the percentage? And is there anything that I could do so it doesn't happened?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 29, 2010, 09:18 PM

At 14 he will be a resident for about 10 years in prison if you get prgnant or someone finds out you are having sex.

There is no approved age difference at 14, you have to be at least 16 to consent to sex.]

At 18 he is what is called a chld molestor and will be a registered sex offender after he gets out of prison, and deported.
    lady_joker Posts: 4, Reputation: -2

Oct 29, 2010, 09:53 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    OK ! But I'm almost 15 and so far all the cops have said is that we can't live together or he can go 2 jail ! So what if we don't live together can he still go 2 jaill?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2010, 10:09 PM

If you are having a sexual relationship he can go to jail regardless of where you are living if it can be proven that you are having sex.

If you are old enough to have sex with a guy who is an adult ,you should be aware enough to look up the statutes for your state

He is the adult.. he should be looking for the information.

You might want to wonder why an older guy is interested in you,could it be one thing?

Honor yourself my dear.
    shes_cool Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Oct 30, 2010, 03:20 AM
    People are trying to answer your questions, but being a silly naïve girl you obviously know the answers. If you have sex with him, he will go to jail. How useful would he be to you if he's in jail? Honey, he is a paedophille, and you know it. Go back to school and forget this drop-kick!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2010, 06:27 AM

Here's the law:
    609.345 Criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree.

Subdivision 1. Crime defined. A person who engages in sexual contact with another person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree if any of the following circumstances exists:

(b) the complainant is at least 13 but less than 16 years of age and the actor is more than 48 months older than the complainant or in a position of authority over the complainant and uses this authority to cause the complainant to submit. Consent by the complainant to the act is not a defense. In any such case, it shall be an affirmative defense which must be proved by a preponderance of the evidence that the actor believes the complainant to be 16 years of age or older;

So maybe he beats the Statutory rape charge by a month or so. But there are other laws that may be applied to this situation. For example, he could likely be deported for corruption of a minor.

But over and above the legal aspects, an 18 yr old man engaging in a sexual relationship with a 14 yr old child is a recipe for disaster. Do your parents know you are dating this person? And how long have you been together?

And why are you even considering sex at your age. Do you want to get pregnant and ruin your life?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 07:02 AM

I read that Scott that the only defense with the age difference is that the other person believes them to be 16, which if they are dating and knows she goes to grade school it would be obvious
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I read that Scott that the only defense with the age difference is that the other person believes them to be 16, which if they are dating and knows she goes to grade school it would be obvious
    The way I read it is that if its less than 48 months then its not "criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree". AND if the "actor" believed the minro to be over 16, that is a viable defense.

That doesn't mean there aren't other charges (though more minor) that can be brought against an 18 yr old having sex with a 14 yr old where there is less than 48 months difference. Pedophiles or just exploiters of underage girls are probably the most hated crimes that can be committed, except maybe terrorism or mass/serial murders. Prosecutors have and will be creative in trying to put such perps behind bars.

Frankly, I think 48 months is too wide a gap. I would like to see such laws reduced to no more than 36 and preferable 24. I wouldn't like to see a 16-17 yr old who succumbs to hormones and has sex with his 15 yr old girlfriend be branded a sexual offender. But an 18 yr old who even thinks of having a relationship with a 14 yr old? That's sick In my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

What is the legal age [ 3 Answers ]

What is the legal age for a 17 year old boy to date a 19 year old girl??

Legal Age. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am wondering what the legal age to own a company? I am planning on creating a Software Creation Company. Do you have to be of a certai age?

Legal age [ 7 Answers ]

I am 27 can I have sex with an 18 year old

Legal Age [ 2 Answers ]

Hey My Names Kristina, I Live in Canada St.Johns Newfoundland. Im Hopeing Someone can answer my question for me cause I've always been wanting to know . Soo Many people tell me different answers. I would like to know what the legal age in Canada for a juvie to leave home with out parental...

View more questions Search