Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    didemgunsel Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 07:16 AM
    John Marshall is employed as a bank loan officer for First State Bank. He is comparin
    John Marshall is employed as a bank loan officer for First State Bank. He is comparing two companies that have applied for loans, and he wants your help in evaluating those companies. The two companies (Morris Company and Walker Company) are approximately the same size and had approximately the same cash balance at the beginning of 2007. Because the total cash flows for the three-year period are virtually the same, John is inclined to evaluate the two companies as equal in terms of their desirability as loan candidates. Abbreviated information (in thousands of dollars) from Morris and Walker Company is as follows:
    Morris Company Walker Company

2007 2008 2009 2007 2008 2009
    Cash flows from:
    Operating activities $10 $13 $15 $8 $3 $(2)
    Investing activities (5) (8) (10) (7) (5) 8
    Financing activities 8 (3) 1 12 4 0
    Net from all activities $13 $2 $6 $13 $2 $6

Instructions
    a. Do you agree with John’s preliminary assessment that the two companies are approximately equal in terms of their strength as loan candidates? Why or why not?
    b. What might account for the fact that Walker Company’s cash flow from financing activities is zero in 2009?
    c. Generally, what would you advise John with regard to using statements of cash flows in evaluating loan candidates?
    didemgunsel Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 07:19 AM

John Marshall is employed as a bank loan officer for First State Bank. He is comparing two companies that have applied for loans, and he wants your help in evaluating those companies. The two companies (Morris Company and Walker Company) are approximately the same size and had approximately the same cash balance at the beginning of 2007. Because the total cash flows for the three-year period are virtually the same, John is inclined to evaluate the two companies as equal in terms of their desirability as loan candidates. Abbreviated information (in thousands of dollars) from Morris and Walker Company is as follows:
    Morris Company Walker Company

2007 2008 2009 2007 2008 2009
    Cash flows from:
    Operating activities $10 $13 $15 $8 $3 $(2)
    Investing activities (5) (8) (10) (7) (5) 8
    Financing activities 8 (3) 1 12 4 0
    Net from all activities $13 $2 $6 $13 $2 $6

Instructions
    a. Do you agree with John’s preliminary assessment that the two companies are approximately equal in terms of their strength as loan candidates? Why or why not?
    b. What might account for the fact that Walker Company’s cash flow from financing activities is zero in 2009?
    c. Generally, what would you advise John with regard to using statements of cash flows in evaluating loan candidates?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the study options for a bank IT officer? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I need some advice from you guys.I hv been selected for the post of bank IT officer.I want to know what further studies can I do to strengthen my position in the bank and get better salary Reply Thanks

Defending against Bank Garnishment, Self Employed. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our sole prop. Business account was just garnished due to medical bills. We are in Idaho and I have found some exemptions but can not determine if our funds are exempt. The account is used for some personal expenses, such as mortgage payments (which is what they took) and we run our...

Got a felony B Theft while being employed at a bank [ 2 Answers ]

She was charged with a felony (B) and now she is doing probation. One of the conditions was to tell her employer about the sentencing. It is a bank. Since she was a good employee the bank gave put her on a personal leave and a chance to just resign since the said she can’t be bonded. After the...

Can a bank draft be cancelled by a bank if the purchaser is in default on a loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I had recently purchased a bank draft from a bank to which I owe a large sum of money. I'am overdue on the minimum payment and the bank has started to make noises about taking legal action. Due to some reason the recipient has not deposited the bank draft yet. Can the bank legally cancel the...

View more questions Search