Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snglmumto2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Ex husband bulldozing? Or the truth?
    I have been divorced for 3 years now. I was a pushover when the divorce went through and we settled everything without a court hearing. He told me he could afford 200/mo for child support of our daughter and I agreed to it. Well I've struggled to keep up with bills and things we need since then. I paid an attorney a starting fee to file paperwork for a modification of child support for him. My ex called me and practically went ballistic on me, telling me that his job is ending at the end of the month and if this goes to court that I will get less than what he's paying now. He is enlisted in the military now and leaves in February 2011 for Basic training. I mentioned to him that if he voluntarily quits his job that he is still held responsible for the high pay that he quit. He has since told me that he has no intention of quitting, that he's going to "point out" (call in and get fired). He has been at this job for 7 years... this is his potential income right? He told me his lawyer said it's not considered his "potential income" because he doesn't have a degree.. which I'm hoping that he is just trying to bulldoze me and get me to settle with him for less than what he should be paying. Does anyone know? I really can't afford to pay an attorney 500 bucks if I'm going to get less than what I already get... I have a feeling he is lying to me, but I just wanted to get more input on the situation. He keeps claiming that his attorney says that his income will get based upon the minimum wage amount if he gets fired.. but my attorney says no. I'm torn by not wanting to fight with my ex, and doing what I need to do for my child. Anyone have any advice? I know I should listen to my attorney, but he's in it for the money too right? I still owe him 300 bucks before this goes to court.

Thank you!
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Oct 28, 2010, 03:16 PM

Child support is based on actually income..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 05:33 PM

First stop talking to him, don't tell him what you are planning on doing till it is already done.

So he will be losing his job by Feb and going to basic training, if nothing else the payment can be based on that. You do want a garnishment of the pay, since the military is very good about sending it from his pay.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 05:37 AM

If your ex "voluntarily" leaves one job for another that pays less (which would include deliberately getting himself "fired"), then the court is under no obligation to modify the existing child support order. The challenge on your end is convincing the judge that your ex willingly lowered his income, not due to unavoidable circumstances. Another tactic is to have your attorney ask the judge to impute an income amount to your ex and base the amount of child support on the imputed income figure.
    puoki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 04:55 PM
    I just took my ex to court because he chooses not to work because of his new wife income... they inputed half of his wives income as his own and my child support doubled needless to say he has now LIED and filed they are getting divorced Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cheating husband,will he ever tell the truth? [ 20 Answers ]

OK, so the man I am married to and have children with has been caught again. The same as last time, text messages all ending with I love you to a number not stored in his phone. He has asked me to give it another go and try to make it work for the kids, he says he loves me very much. My problem...

I need the truth [ 5 Answers ]

I'm very interested in religion (mainly christianity). Is there any theological universities or colleges that are open minded and accepting of new knowledge. I don't want to go to a college that has its views set and refuses to accept anything that doesn't match up with what they believe. I want...

Should I say the truth [ 13 Answers ]

I don't know if this is OK Once my boyfriend asked me if I have ever self pleasured myself and I said no Should I tell him the truth and say that I have

The truth about NC [ 9 Answers ]

Everyone on here is saying the whole point of NC is to heal and live for yourself, etc. I believe that is true and it helps healing, but if you were the one dumped, I think NC is also the only way to see if this relationship is real. Your ex is never going to know how life is without you (what...

Telling the truth to the husband. [ 4 Answers ]

Dr. Naik, I'm 24 years old. I had a relationship with a gut for 4 years. We lived together. But I never loved him. Now I'm asking to Allah for forgiveness. My family is looking for a guy for me. If I want to marry someone should I tell him about my past relationship?

View more questions Search