Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsjbrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
    Why is there different 220 plugs?
    We are wanting to install a PTAC with heat pump. The 220 plug on the unit is not the same as in our wall. What should we do?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2010, 11:28 AM

The reason is because not all manufacturers are on the same page.

Draw a diagram of your plug and take it to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and they'll sell you a new outlet that you can have installed pretty easily. Be SURE to follow the directions carefully.

Failure to follow the directions carefully can result in severe bodily damage or death.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2010, 03:58 AM
    This statement is incorrect:

Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    The reason is because not all manufacturers are on the same page.
    All manufacturers are on the same page, as any manufacturer that chose to produce electrical material and sell in the USA must have their product inspected and listed by a third party testing laboratory, such as UL, and must subscribe the standards that apply to their product.

Plugs and receptacles are subjected to the standards of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association.

See chart below of the various plug and receptacle configurations. The purpose is to prevent problems, such as a 50 amp load being connected to a 20 amp circuit, for example.

Devices with R are female receptacles, and P represent male plugs, they typical one everyone has in their home is the 5-15R.

Keep in mind, you cannot just change a plug or receptacle to match what you need to plug in. If you have an appliance that needs 30 amp, and you have an existing 20 amp circuit, the entire circuit for the 30 amp appliance must be rated 30 amp, to include not only the plug and receptacle but must include the wire and circuit breaker, and any other amp rated devices in the circuit.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford f250 turbo diesel glow plugs how do I test glow plugs? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I test glow plugs?

Using 110-220 volt appliances in Australia (220-240V) [ 1 Answers ]

1) I have an electric blanket that was built for 110-220 volts. Can it be safely used in Australia? 2) Australia supplies electricity at 220-240 volts. Does that mean electricity can hit your appliances randomly at different voltages within that range? Thank you

GFI plugs on 220 window units [ 2 Answers ]

Why would the GFI plug on my 220 window unit trip?

GFI plugs on 220 window units [ 1 Answers ]

Why would the GFI plug on my 220 window unit trip?

View more questions Search