Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Oct 27, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Car vs Dog who is responsible?
    Ok so here is my question. A car hits a dog at night on a very dark rural road. The dog was all black and running freely. It was unknown to driver at time what they hit, they turned around by saw nothing. This is in a state with a leash law. Who is responsible for vet bills? Who is responsible for car damage?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 06:51 PM

1. well first I have never seen a state with a "lease law" not saying that some may not have them, normally they are local, either city or county laws.

Assuming there is a lease law, then the dog owner has a duty to keep his dog secure.

Working this the same way it works if a car hits a cow or horse, the owner of the animal is liable for the damage to the car. The owner of the car is seldom liable for damage to the animal, unless it can be proved, he should have saw the animal and could have stopped.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 06:58 PM

I agree with Chuck. Pet owner does not get money from the driver.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 07:40 PM

Yes leash, I spend too much time answering rent and lease questions.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2010, 10:21 AM

The car owner if he has comprehensive or full coverage would have his vehicle repaired by his insurance company as an accident that was not his fault. This would be the same as if a deer ran into his car it would not be his fault.

Also the vet bills would fall under property damage and if the vet bills are sent to the car owner's insurance company they would be paid as this would essentially be property damage as a dog is considered "property". Even if the owner does not carry full coverage or comprehensive he must carry liability coverage for damages.

Leash laws in this instance should not count against the driver as he was in a vehicle and could not stop his car in time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I responsible for damages done to my empty parked car if it was hit by and insured [ 1 Answers ]

If my car is uninsured and is parked and empty and an insured driver hits it isn't he responsible to pay for the damages whether I am insured or not?

Who is responsible for tax lien place on car in a divorce? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is divorced and owns one of the cars per the divorce decree. She is trying to sell the car and learned that there is a tax lien on the car title for unpaid taxes that the ex husband hasn't paid. Does she have to pay the taxes to clear the lien? Or can the lien be removed since the ex...

Who is responsible for repairs on used car. [ 1 Answers ]

I sold my car to someone 6 months ago. I live in CA and the state requires the seller to provide a smog certificate for the buyer. I did not know of this law, nor did the buyer. She did not try to get a smog check or register the vehicle until 6 months after the purchase. At this point, who is...

Private party used car seller, responsible for smog? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I responsible for the smog on a private party used car sell? I let them know up front it needs a tune up.. and that smog wasn't due until October. Aren't private party used car sells.. as is? Im in California.

Divorce who is responsible for the car payment [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was married before and before there divorce they had bought a car together. My husband has been making the car payments for about 3 years now which she drives around with and I looked at the divorce decree and there is no mention of the car payment it just says that either party is...

View more questions Search