Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angel_Wings Posts: 105, Reputation: 13

Oct 27, 2010, 03:02 PM
    Donations
    How can I get donations for a single Mom in need? Here's her story: Single Mom to three boys age 6 and under. One of the boys has a medical condition that requires Mom to take off work for his treatments. His medical expenses are being paid through medicare/medicaid whichever it is. She is in need of money to help pay the rent and utility bills that's all. This Mom is very proud. She works but does not make enough to cover everything and is continually trying to 'juggle' it all to make ends meet. I would like to try and get enough donations to cover her bills for a few months. Her son will begin his newest treatments soon. Please off any 'advice' and/or 'ideas' for helping this Mom. Thanks
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 27, 2010, 03:15 PM

Food stamps is a good way to start. Try local churches, they often have donations coming in for those in need. Going to the thrift store to buy clothing can cut costs considerably.

Sadly times are tough for everyone right now, so donations of cash is probably not realistic, but old clothing, food, and other things, people are always willing to give those things they no longer need.

Good luck. I wish you all the best.

Oct 30, 2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks for your reply. Mom is already getting food stamps and help from the state. She even gets Christmas for her boys through her local church family. I just wanted to give her a break from the stress of trying to juggle her bills, you know robbing Peter to pay Paul. And to allow her to "catch up". She has had her phone and utilities turned off at one time or another. She is frugal, and does thrift shop buying etc. I still may try some local businesses to see if they want to make a Christmas for her!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 07:24 PM

Yes things are tough for even the major charities, I do work daily for several of the major ones providing supplies for disabled and they have had to cut funding per person way down this year.

But first make sure she is not going to be very upset if you start going out in public, talking to business people using her name asking for charity
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2010, 07:44 PM

I agree with Chuck here. If you have not, you need to get her permission to go out in the public looking for help for her or you may completely alienate her.

Oct 31, 2010, 06:56 PM

Yes, I will
    Thank you all for your help & advice
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 31, 2010, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Wings View Post
    Yes, I will
    Thank you all for your help & advice
    You are very welcome. And, thank you, for trying to help someone in this financial crisis we have going on. I wish there were more people like you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I ask for donations for my family? [ 5 Answers ]

Our family hired a legitimate contractor to build us a full foundation for our home. On the final day he was there, we received notice that he had filed bankruptcy. After four years of our walls cracking, we found that he purposely cut corners and didn't pour our footers below the frost line. Our...

Plasma donations [ 1 Answers ]

Can I donate my plasma if I have type 2 diabetes?

Is it okay to ask for donations? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a website that is not a non profit. Tts a site to raise moral for all serve members and their loved ones. In all honesty me and my two army buddies do want to make some sort of profit for ourselves but we also want to sponsor platoons in the army. Money is tight and we do get offers from...

Donations [ 1 Answers ]

If a church is incorporated, but does not have a 501c3 status can donations be counted off on income tax. Would we be able to give a receipt for their income tax?

View more questions Search