Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wayne306 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2010, 08:48 AM
    Why thunders tripping RCD
    Hi, can any one tells me why thunder tripping RCD, and how can I solve this problem?
    Thanks and regards Wayne
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2010, 09:27 AM
    Where do you live? RCD terminology is not widely used in the US. We use A GFCI which is basically the same. I don't think thunder is the problem, I think it is the lightning. You are either getting a surge or ground fault that is tripping the unit. Is it outside? Does it get wet? That's a common problem when water gets inside. Make sure that grounding is properlyconnected in the box, the unit stays dry and all ground wires in the outlet box are connected.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
    Yes, RCD is short for Residual Current Device, the European equivalent to the USA GFI device.

Here is a RCD manufacturer that recognizes the issue with lightning causing nusiance tripping of RCD units.

http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/sco...21002B0201.pdf

Oct 28, 2010, 07:21 AM
    Yes the rcd is inside in the consumer unit. Is the earth electrode which is outside but it is connected properly.

Oct 28, 2010, 07:55 AM
    By the way thanks for the pdf file it is very help full and I think that's the problem. Thanks a lot Wayne

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why my pond pump trips rcd [ 0 Answers ]

My submersible pump keeps tripping my rcd on 2 year old outdoor electrics yet has been running fine for 2 years. Tested socket spur outdoor wiring is off to find earth fault corrected this. The outdoor electrics run my pond lights fine my air pump fine as soon as I put the pump on it trips.. pump...

Why my pond pump trips rcd [ 0 Answers ]

Submersible pump to outdoor sockets keeps trippoing rcd checked all sockets and are fine also pump runs on extension to house electrics no problem just when connected to garden electrics rcd trips. Yet will run air pump without tripping

RCD trippin [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... The RCD switch keeps tripping out in my house... around every half an hour... we thought it was due to the cooker which wasn't working but it has been replaced today and the switch still keeps trippin out... any ideas why this might be happening and how to go about fixing it? I have...

Rcd trips [ 1 Answers ]

The rcd on my consumer unit has started to trip on loads over 1kw ,its just the upstairs sockets which used to be fine with three heaters.I can't find water or obvious damage.its currently a 30mA,can I change it for 100mA?

View more questions Search