Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyval Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 12:14 PM
    California Inheritance Tax
    I just receive a California inheritance distribution of $56,000. Also I received a W-9 form from my probate lawyer.

Here are my questtions of concern:

Must I pay any withholding taxes to either the Federal or State for this amount of inheritance money? (If, yes, what percentage of taxes would I owe?)

And, can I file the W-9 form when my taxes are due in April of 2007 (at the latest), instead of mailing my W-9 form back to my attorney for the estate?

I don't want the requester of my Tax ID number to send this W-9 form to the IRS before April. So can I send the W-9 form back to the requester (my probate attorney) in April, even if I cashed the inheritance tax January 2007?

Can I cash my inheritance check first and then send my W-9 form back to my probate lawyer a few months after I cash my inheritance check?

How long do I have before I must pay, if any, inheritance taxes after I have cashed the check?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2007, 02:50 PM
    An inheritance is NOT subject to federal income taxes. While I am not 100% sure, I doubt that it is subject to California income taxes either.

Regardless, you are obligated by law to return the W-9 as soon as possible. You have nothing to worry about on the federal side of the equation, and I am pretty sure that California will not be looking for any income taxes as well.

Any federal estate taxes or state inheritance taxes are paid BY THE ESTATE. The attorney needs your tax ID number (in your case, your SSN) for the final report to the courts and on the estate tax return to show that the money from the estate is properly accounted for.

Fill out the W-9, send it and do not worry about it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California inheritance law? [ 3 Answers ]

I am married and live in California. I have inherited some money from my father and I want to know if this inheritance is community property or does it just belong to me alone?

California Inheritance Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Our parents are American citizens and live in California,the want us to inherit their property in California. We are British citizens and live in England, do we have to pay any death /inheritors taxes in the U.S. Their assets are worth less than $1 million.

California Family Inheritance Law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My father passed away three years ago with no will or living trust. He didn't have any stocks or monies left except for a house that he and my mom owned. A year after he died, she transferred the ownership of the house only to her name without telling my sister and me. She is now living...

Inheritance law in California [ 3 Answers ]

Should a parent who is preparing a revokable trust document name the spouse(s) of the children that would 'inherit' property when the parent dies? If only the children of the parent are named, does the spouse of any child have a claim if s/he is not named in the document? Example: a mother, age...

California inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

My father died in 2000, and his wife (my step-mother) died this year, she has no descendents(children). There is property left that they jointly owned. My father's brother and my step-mother's brother have taken control of the estate. Don't I have a right to my father's estate? To his and his...

View more questions Search