Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 05:26 PM
    National Benefit Authority
    I live in Canada and due to having BPD was eligible for disablity credits from the governement(income tax). The national benefit authority is an organization that helps with the paper work for a fee.

I received my money approx 10k from the government and paid off back bills etc. I got a phone call telling me I owed the company money tonight for what they did for me 3700 dollars

I was under the impression that the government sent them their payment from my money that I got back. I was not informed of the amount that I owed them until the phone call tonight.

I have no problem paying them but when I explained it would have to be with post dated cheques paid off as quickly as possible, they got irate at me saying it was not acceptable. I am in tears now due to the way I was treated.

Can they demand the money immediately from me? What can I do? Hubbby and I made a plan where we can pay them off by the first week of December. I have to call them back tomorrow and am scared to even talk to them.

Susan.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 06:07 PM

They can demand anything they want, but at the end of the day you can only do so much, so don't get upset, just decide on what you can do, and don't let them threaten you.
    If they start getting rude on the phone, just hang up. You keep control

Plus verify that you really owe them the money and this is also not a scam. Demand everything in writing

Red flags all over the place that you were not given a written notice of this, first.
    Dogs Expert

Oct 26, 2010, 12:40 PM

I was paid my money from the government on Sat and they did not notify me until Monday the amount I owed. They are accepting a payment plan AFTER I told them I know they tape the conversations and I stated clearly if my payment plan was not good enough to go the legal route, HOWEVER I thought the judge would not be impressed where I gave them the option of paying for it all by Dec 6. After stating that, they changed their attitude(which leads me to believe I was correct in my statement.
    They did do me a great service of helping me file for the disablity credit BUT they really need to explain to people clearly on how they get their payment. Let the people know it is paid by you after you get your money and to not do anything with that money until you hear from them. They charge approximately 30%.
    I am no longer recommending them to people as I know the forms that need to be filled out and can let others know to take those forms to their doctor. After that you send the info into the Income Tax Dept and they redo prior tax forms and issue a refund.
    Thank you also for your response, My husband was upset and is now handling it for me. They upset me to the point of him thinking of taking me to emergency for them to talk to me and possible give me something to calm me down.

Susan
    bytch711 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 08:58 AM
    Just got a huge invoice from national benefit authority for almost $5000 their fee for doing a few papers for you is 30% of whatever money you get back. They trick you by saying there is only a $25 application fee... the are just crooks and I am so mad right now if I wasn't depressed before they have sent me over the edge now. DO NOT DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE if you can call them that.
    NANCY1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 05:34 PM

Well the worst thing they can do is take you to collections. And listen to swtlidrms, have her do it, or do it yourself, spread the news. They scammed you guys. You could have done it yourself for free.
    1Bear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2012, 01:34 PM
    I just talked to the national benefit authority today. They are going to send me some forms but after reading all of the bad reviews I'm scared to even attempt filing with them!! Does anyone know if they could do anything if I do not fill out the application? Sounds like a scam!
    Sarah
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 02:11 PM
    It is not a scam.. they do help get your money. But once the money is in your bank do not spend a cent until they call you with the money you owe.. They do take a huge chunk of the money 30%.
    Go into this with your eyes wide open. Unfortuantely I thought they got sent their money by the government taking it off my money and sending to them. I did not read everything fully and ask enough questions.
    hbui Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 01:38 PM
    Hi

It sux that there's a lot of people getting caught up by this ridiculous company. I'm one of them. They told me that I wouldn't be able to do myself. So I signed the forms and now I'm at the point where I faxed the doctor forms to them. BUT I haven't sent the original doctor forms. I hear that they need those. I've unauthorized them from our cra accounts. I DON'T have the tax benefit amount from the government yet, but they still sent me an invoice. So they're expecting me to pay or else every month the invoice amount will go up by 2%.

I'm not paying them a dime. Well I already have paid them $25 for the application but no more. Dealing with these people is miserable and they truly are the scum of the earth. What can I do to get them off my back?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Probation authority [ 3 Answers ]

If I am on probation for a DWI and my probation officer will not allow me to take the medication that I have a prescription for... Is that legal?

View more questions Search