Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 07:56 AM
    2 Columns
    Having a problem with 2 columns... for some reason it writes some of it in the first column, then the bit following in the second column, then goes back to the first column.

I've tried switching to 1 column and back to 2 and the formatting stays that way. Help! :D:confused:
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 08:06 AM
    I got it to work by making it 1 column and deleting all spaces between the bits that were messing up. Bloomin' thing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2007, 08:07 AM
    There are 2 types of columns. Make sure you are using snaking columns. This fills up the first column before going to the second.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 08:15 AM
    I think I just managed to put some kind of break in there when I was editing.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Another problem. On my last page, it seems to want to make my 2 columns the same length. I don't want that, I want the first column to reach the bottom.

Any ideas?

Jan 3, 2007, 08:21 AM
    I assume you are using Word? If so which version? There should be some setting in the Column properties.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Word 2000, I can't see anythign in the column menu. - there's a check box for same width, but nothing for length

I don't really need to use columns, but they look kind of smart for academic papers..

Jan 3, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Ok, I don't have Word 2K here. I'll check tonight.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 08:26 AM
    A for effort - but I needed to share the love :(
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2007, 01:25 AM
    I solved the problem by putting the perfect amount of text in so that both columns reached the bottom, however, while I understand the need for it in most cases to be equal length, I don't understand why there isn't an option to turn that off.

I'm still interested if you to find a way to do it :) - academic papers are kind of what I do.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 08:51 AM
    I'm still having problems with this with another document, any idea scott? :/

Jan 16, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Can you attach a zipped version of the document?
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jan 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
    It's not an elegant solution by any means (and it only works for a printout, not for the file itself), but you can work around the problem by making it into two separate documents: one for the entire paper, and one for a single page. Once you've gotten the overall text complete, copy the text that's on the last page to the second document, and change the lower margin until they're even.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2007, 04:23 AM
    I made this using lorem ipsum text. It has the sdame problem I am having, the columns are even at the bottom of the second page.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip 2 columner.zip (4.8 KB, 81 views)

Jan 18, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Change view to Normal. You will see a Section Break at the end of the columns set to Continuous. Delete that break and set a Break As New Page. That will allow uneven columns on the last page.

If you want to continue with Columns on the next page then you just need to insert a Column break instead of a Section break. If you want the next page to be a single column, you will have to set the first paragraph after the Section Break to a single column.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Thanks Scott! I wish I had known this before I printed out my documents. Another string to my bow I guess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Join 2 excels by matching columns [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 excels. Excel1: columns >> name; address Excel2: columns >> name; phone; dob Wish to join the two with matching "name". I cannot find anything on Excel help. I have downloaded some sharewares to handle this but either it failed to install or it does not function fully without...

Inserting multiple columns on Excel [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to insert multiple columns under any particular cell without disturbing other cell data ? For example it should be like : --------------------------------------------------------- | A | B | C |...

View more questions Search