Ask
    jazzygirl74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Adoption
    I wanted to know can you explain to me what open adoption is
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 3, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Open adoption is an adoption where all parties (the birthfamily, the adoptive family, and the adoptee) stay in contact with each other, usually with visitation, letters, phone calls, etc being arranged by those involved.

Basically, it's where the adoptive family allows the birth family, usually/especially the birthmother access to and information about the child. Some open adoptions have visitation, some don't. Some only have letters a couple times a year, some have a combination of both. It really depends on what is agreed upon by the people involved.

Does that answer your question?
    collinsmom Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Jazzygirl74,

My husband and I adopted our son through open adoption. Synnen is correct with the above. The Birthparents and adoptive parents agree to what they are comfortable with in terms of ongoing contact after placement of the child. In our case, we visit with our son's birthmother (and her family) and the birthfather's teenage daughters twice a year and send pictures. The birthfather wanted NO contact.

It really has worked out well for us. I have a resource to go to if I have questions about my son's health concerns (i.e.: allergies, etc). We also have an "additional" family that we love and that love us. We are looking to adopt again this year... God willing... :)

Let me know if you have any questions... take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Massachusetts adoption [ 5 Answers ]

My son was born in mqassachusets, and I just married in Texas. My husband wants to adopt my son, my son's father is not on his birth cirtificate, so how so how do I go about this?

Adoption [ 7 Answers ]

I am 14 years old and I am adopted. I get nervous when I talk about it. What should I do to not be so nervous?

Adoption [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was adopted 7 years ago with my twin. We were adopted from St.Petersburg, Russia and I really want to find my real Mom. I know that there might be a slight chance she could be dead because she was a serious heroin user. I am 16 and I feel like I am at a point in my life in which I am ready to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted by a wonderful couple when I was only 3 months old. They never hid that from me and I am grateful. But 3 years ago I was contacted by my birth siblings. They are all nuts. I feel sorry for them. I was so lucky to have been placed in a loving home. I don't want them to call or come to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of a forum that deals with adoption law? Or can anyone here answer what I think is a simple question on the subject?

View more questions Search