Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhaynes40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2004, 06:26 AM
    Ghost imaging
    I am trying to make a disk to image of a 40gb drive ntfs to a 120gb wd 120gb usb drive fat32. I get the error in ghost stating not enough space (1916), it then ask use compression and I select fast. Then I get the message there may not be enough space - enable spanning. If I answer yes or no it says proceed with Image file creation and then I get the error cannot create image file (662). Is there a special switch I have to use in ghost?

boma23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2005, 04:22 AM
    Me too!
    I'm having the same problem trying to use Ghost 2003.

Using a drive mapping disk to take an image across across a standard DHCP TCP/IP network to a shared drive, I'm prompted for spanning, I say OK, then get error 662 "cannot create ghost file", which is informative.

I've tried using Ghost with the switch -FNI (seen on another forum) but no joy.

Anyone?

TIA
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 4, 2005, 11:40 AM
    Couple of questions for you:

Is there definitely enough space on the destination drives?

On the mapped drive, are you logging on with write permissions over the network?

Aug 5, 2005, 01:30 AM
    Both machines are currently in a WORKGROUP (default), but I'm logging on to the network with domain admin rights when prompted by the drive mapping boot disk.

I am then logging in as local admin to the ghosting machine which hosts the destination folder for the images.

Then the drive maps, and I start ghost form the root of the newly mapped drive.

I then go DISK > TO IMAGE > select the destination mapped drive, name the file etc. get prompted for compression, and then spanning due to lack of space. When I hit CREATE, I get this error 662...

Two points that may be of relevance:

1. The destination is a shared folder on the C: drive, not it's own drive or partition, and is formatted with NTFS. Windows sees it as having 35Gb free.

2. if I do a DIR of the newly mapped drive from the machine from which I'm taking an image, the version of DOS only sees the mapped drive as having a shade over 2Gb free. (I seem to remember this being normal though?)

Thanks for the help!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Ghost 2003
    Hi,
    Here is a link to one of the best sites, with full explanations on how to use this program:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1.htm

It might help answer your questions. I personally have never tried using network connections with Ghost. I use CD-R's.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Aug 5, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Thanks, excellent guide, will take some time reading this also :)
    raylyne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 02:06 PM
    I figured it out!
    I used the network boot disk created from the following link http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

I logged in using the msnet command, as the administrator on the local PC that I am ghosting to.

My connection is through a linksys router.

I also logged on to my local PC as "administrator", and shared a folder to ghost to.

It worked!

Not sure about the network though, it may work if you log on to the local PC as administrator? Not sure about that, but it stands to reason.

Just make sure you log on to the network as "Administrator" to the local PC you are mapping to, when using your network boot disk. ;)
    topper24hours Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 09:42 AM
    I Got the answer!
    The 662 error means you have one usb 2.0 device and one usb 1.1 device; a big no-no. The culprit is probably a usb mouse. Your external drive should be the ONLY usb device.
    rws70 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 10:19 AM
    I would like to confirm what Topper said.

I was trying to make a ghost image of a hard drive and my destination was a USB 2.0 stick.

I kept getting the error 662.

I had a USB mouse connected to the computer.

I disconnected the mouse and put the USB drive into the port the mouse had been in and my image did not error.

Thanks Topper for your good solution.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Ghost video! [ 8 Answers ]

You have got to check this out!! Go to www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=3008 This will scare you FO SHO!! :eek:

Medium or Ghost Whisperer? [ 6 Answers ]

Which show is your favorite? My friend and I are having an argument about it. She likes Medium, I like both, but Ghost Whisperer is much better IMO. :D

Ghost Display [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a new computer CPU and I'm using an old monitor gateway VX700. I've been seeing a transparent ghost image or several ghost images about 3 to 5 next to text and windows. Can someone help me with this.

Ghost Key Logger [ 4 Answers ]

Which is the best ghost key logger to use on your computer and how invisible is it to other users of my computer? AND... is there any site where I can download one for free ::)

Ghost in the machine. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a problem that I'm hoping someone here can help. Basically what happens is my machine boots itself up. The machine is totally powered down and off, but the plugs are still on and from time to time it switches itself on. I've run a virus scan with norton. I've cleaned the...

View more questions Search