Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallguy Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Sink backs up when washing machine drains
    Hi - My washing machine drains into a pipe in the basement floor. A utility sink drains into the same pipe a few inches "down stream" from the washing machine. When the washing machine drains, the utility sink backs up with a few inches of water, and then slowly drains, leaving behind dirt and debris. Do I simply need to snake the main drain pipe? Where should I do it from?

Also, what are the chances there could be sewerage backing up into the sink? There is no noticeable odor.

Thank you in advance!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2007, 10:32 AM
    " Do I simply need to snake the main drain pipe? Where should I do it from?"

You need to snake from the roof vent that services the washer.

"Also, what are the chances there could be sewerage backing up into the sink?"

When ANYTHING backs up out of a sewer drain line it Is indeed sewerage that backs up.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine discharge goes into sink [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a raised ranch. The toilet and shower are backed up to the laundry room. The sink and the washer use the same discharge pipe. When the washer drains, the water backflows into the sink and out onto the bathroom floor. The plumber has been here twice and installed a vent in the pipe but it...

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Washing machine overflows into sink (and over) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a house that is more than 100 years old. Our washing machine is in the basement. About 30 feet over, we have a half bath. Whenever we run a large load, water drains out of the washing machine OK, but backs up into the bathroom sink, and eventually over the counter and onto the...

Smell when washing machine drains [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had the problem of my wash machine overflowing drain pipe plumber recommended putting a fitting on top of drain to prevent water from overflowing and it worked until about a week later when I started smelling sewer smell checked it out and found some standing water under my bathroom on...

Washing Machine Drains = Bathtub Fills Up W/ Sewage? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my title is just a hint of the trouble I have recently encountered. A couple days ago I did a load of laundry and noticed that the bathtub was full of sewage about 45mins after starting the laundry load. Puzzled it took me until the next day to figure out they two events were...

View more questions Search