Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Another nanny state ban?
    The Obama administration is considering nixing potatoes in federal child nutrition programs such as WIC.

... the Institute of Medicine, the health arm of the National Academy of Sciences, recommended that the U.S. Department of Agriculture stop participants of the federal Women, Infants and Children program, known as WIC, from buying potatoes with federal dollars. The institute also called for the USDA-backed school lunch program to limit use of potatoes.

Under an interim rule, the USDA agreed to bar WIC participants from buying potatoes with their federal dollars. Potatoes are the only vegetable not allowed. Next year, the agency will roll out a final rule on the WIC program, which last year served 9.3 million children and pregnant and breast-feeding women considered at risk for malnutrition.
    Really? We're going to ban a fresh vegetable for hungry children?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Additional information to counter the spreading of FUD:

"The recommendation was made to encourage consumption of other fruits and vegetables," she said.

Jean Daniel, spokeswoman for USDA's Food and Nutrition Service, said the WIC program was updated for the first time in 30 years after a study showed more consumption of leafy greens and other veggies was needed.

Whatever the USDA decides, potatoes won't disappear from school lunches, although they might become less common, Daniel said,

"It's an opportunity to make healthy eating choices as varied as possible, and it's a learning lesson for children about how to put a plate together that's healthy and balanced," she said.
    See, when you have all the information and not just the sound bites it appears differently.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 10:46 AM

Maybe they can eat some of the 4 lb. yams from the White House garden.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Maybe they can eat some of the 4 lb. yams from the White House garden.
    "cause that what you think black people eat?
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    See, when you have all the information and not just the sound bites it appears differently.
    I'm not spreading "FUD," just the facts. It matters not that they want to encourage eating other vegetables, banning this vegetable is moronic and it IS further evidence that this administration thinks we're too stupid to take care of ourselves.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 10:56 AM
    "cause that what you think black people eat?
    Who made this about black people? Funny how you accuse me of spreading FUD while playing the race card with zero justification for doing so.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I'm not spreading "FUD," just the facts. It matters not that they want to encourage eating other vegetables, banning this vegetable is moronic and it IS further evidence that this administration thinks we're too stupid to take care of ourselves.
    It's not a ban - that's the FUD.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Who made this about black people? Funny how you accuse me of spreading FUD while playing the race card with zero justification for doing so.
    Ok, what does you're the "White House yams" comment refer to?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 11:53 AM

4 lbs of yams what is that like 10 yams?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 11:55 AM

Clearly it was about the 1st Ladies magical garden . Look it up . She grew a 4lb yam.

But you see racists behind every rock and twice this week you have implied it. I have no inclination to waste time addressing it every time I'm slurred .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2010, 11:56 AM
    we're too stupid to take care of ourselves.
    The obesity rate says we are.

Potatoes in hot lunches are either fries or have liberal coverings of gravy and butter. Fat, fat, fat. What kid will eat a cooked but unadorned potato?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2010, 11:59 AM

Yams (or even sweet potatoes) would be a much better alternative over fried or gravied white potatoes --

Nutritionally speaking:

Sweet potatoes are relatively low in calories and have no fat. They are rich in beta-carotene; having five times the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A in one sweet potato, as well as loaded with potassium. These nutrients help to protect against heart attack and stroke. The potassium helps maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body cells, as well as help maintain normal heart function and blood pressure.

Yams are similar nutritionally but are not a great source of Vitamin A. They are a good source of vitamin C, potassium, manganese, dietary fiber, and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine). Yams are also known to help protect against cardiovascular disease, benefit those with hypertension, and believed to be an anti-cancer food.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 12:17 PM

Tom is right I saw something about 4lbs of yams and thought wow that's not that many.
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Yams (or even sweet potatoes) would be a much better alternative over fried or gravied white potatoes --

Nutritionally speaking:

Sweet potatoes are relatively low in calories and have no fat. They are rich in beta-carotene; having five times the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A in one sweet potato, as well as loaded with potassium. These nutrients help to protect against heart attack and stroke. The potassium helps maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body cells, as well as help maintain normal heart function and blood pressure.

Yams are similar nutritionally but are not a great source of Vitamin A. They are a good source of vitamin C, potassium, manganese, dietary fiber, and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine). Yams are also known to help protect against cardiovascular disease, benefit those with hypertension, and believed to be an anti-cancer food.
    I love sweet potatoes my wife makes mashed sweet potatoes with OJ in them they are awesome!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
    It's not a ban - that's the FUD.
    Excuse, me the article says they're considering a "bar" on buying potatoes with federal subsidies.

Main Entry: ban
    Part of Speech: verb
    Definition: officially forbid

Synonyms: banish, bar, blackball, close down, close up, curse, declare illegal, disallow, enjoin, exclude, halt, ice out, illegalize, inhibit, interdict, outlaw, pass by, pass up, prevent, prohibit, proscribe, restrict, shut out, suppress

You were saying?
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
    Ok, what does your the "White House yams" comment refer to?
    It wasn't my comment and I took it to mean she grew yams in her garden. I don't think along racial lines like you do.

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
    It was all the rage down here:

The First Lady?s Fall 2010 Kitchen Garden Harvest | The White House

Ok, what does your the "White House yams" comment refer to?
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2010, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The obesity rate says we are.
    Oh, so some study says obesity rates are bad so it's time for the government to control our lives? Not on my watch.

Potatoes in hot lunches are either fries or have liberal coverings of gravy and butter. Fat, fat, fat. What kid will eat a cooked but unadorned potato?
    Most. Potatoes are an essential part of soups and stews. They can be mashed with a healthy butter substitute and garlic and herbs, diced and baked to a crispy deliciousness with rosemary and pepper or any number of herbs and spices. Season them and wrap them in foil with diced onions and throw them on the grill. Don't tell me I can't get a kid to eat healthy taters.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Ah I see. I guess I missed that startling report. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 22, 2010, 01:00 PM
    Good grief, yams are yams. Who doesn't love yams? They aren't potatoes, and can grow to 150 pounds. Sweet potatoes are only distant potato cousins. I think what we eat in the US is usually a kind of sweet potato, even if from the yam bin at the store, but don't quote me. As for race, I suppose the fact that yams originated in W Africa might have something to do with stereotypes?

How did this get off the subject? The question has been asked and answered - potatoes won't be off the WIC list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nanny Mcphee [ 7 Answers ]

I just saw the best little film I have seen in a long time. Nanny Mcphee, if you haven't seen it yet it is just excellent! Gather the kids around, make popcorn and sit back and enjoy. Angela Lansbury plays the wicked old aunt and she is a gasser! If you have seen it let me know what you think.:p

Looking for a former Nanny. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I've seen others put up stuff about finding people so I thought I'd give it a wack. Between the years of 1997-1999 I lived in Izmir, Turkey. While I was there I met a woman who has had a huge impact on my life... Deniz. She was our nanny, but she was more like a best friend. She...

Who's your nanny? [ 17 Answers ]

The nanny state has come to this... I'm literally speechless.

My son wants the nanny over me [ 2 Answers ]

I've gone back to work 1 month ago after my extended Maternity leave. My son is 16 months old and seems to be forming a bond with his Nanny. I thought this was great at first, but he seems to want to be with her more then he does with me. When I go to pick him up, he leans towards her. He's not as...

W2 for out-of-state nanny [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in DC and employ a nanny who lives in Maryland. Do I need a Maryland employer ID to put on her w2 form? Thanks!

View more questions Search