Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kceb123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 08:51 AM
    Bank Account about to be garnished in Florida
    I am a single mother of 2 in FL making less than $21,000 a year with no other income. I had a credit card in my name my husband used when we were married. After the divorce, I was stuck w/ this $12,000 debt. I can barely afford to put food on the table. Now I see my checking account is about to be garnished. I can't afford an attorney. If I open another acct. w/ another bank, will they just keep chasing me? How long can they do this to me? I've always had 750 + credit scores until he did this to me. I just can't pay this debt. HELP PLEASE!
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Oct 22, 2010, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kceb123 View Post
    I am a single mother of 2 in FL making less than $21,000 a year with no other income. I had a credit card in my name my husband used when we were married. After the divorce, I was stuck w/ this $12,000 debt. I can barely afford to put food on the table. Now I see my checking account is about to be garnished. I can't afford an attorney. If I open another acct. w/ another bank, will they just keep chasing me? How long can they do this to me? I've always had 750 + credit scores until he did this to me. I just can't pay this debt. HELP PLEASE!
    Are you saying that you have a judgement?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2010, 04:06 PM

Can you prove he is responsible for the debt? You might be able to sue him.

But short of that, if you have a judgment against you, then you have to reach a settlement with the plaintiff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account being garnished every other month [ 1 Answers ]

How often can a company or state agency take every penny out of your account? My mom has some back taxes in Oregon and the State is hitting her account every other month for hundreds of dollars causing her rent check to bounce. Isn't there a law that limits the amount of times an account can...

Bank account garnished [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Georgia and today iI found out my account was garnished resulting in a zero balance. Is this garnishment a one time thing or does the garnishment stand until the amount is satisfied?

My bank account was garnished is there anything I can do? [ 2 Answers ]

What can I do if my bank account has been garnished.. Can the creditor that sent the levy release my account? Will they negotiate and release funds to me?:( please help

Garnished Bank Account [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so if you get your bank account garnished and pay the company the next day. Is there a limit to how long they have to put everything back in your account and unfreeze it?

Garnished Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - My bank account was recently garnished as an attempt to collect on a Judgement against me. The amount of the Judgement is more than what the balance of my bank account was. The current balance of my bank account shows as negative in the amount of what is owed for the judgement. If I...

View more questions Search