Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mj1067 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 06:43 AM
    Collection agency suing me
    Hi,

I incurred some cc debt when I was I states and I had to leave because of family problems. I moved to Mexico. When I left I gave my friend's address as forwarding in case I get any mail. I paid the min to the cc for 2 years and after that lost job and couldn't pay. Now my friend told me that I got a letter from colelction agency and it says they are filing a lawsuit against me. I can't go to states now. In the letter they have a court name and case#. It also says this is an attempt to collect the debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose. Please help me what to do. The letter is from collection agency
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Oct 22, 2010, 12:12 PM

First, understand you are being sued for money that the credit card company lent to you, that you have failed to pay back. By what you have written it sounds like they have a court date and you could show up with your lawyer to dispute it. It seems as if that is not the case as you are in Mexico. Chances are extremely high that court would not be able to force you to pay the debt once you've relocated to another country, as this would usually be cost prohibitive. Though it is possible that the creditors could to go after any assets you've left in the United States like a checking or savings account. Eventually the debit will be written off if you do not return to the United States.
    mj1067 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Thank you for your answer. The letter the collection agency sent doesn't look like a court notice. Will they wait for some time and will send me a court date or direct the court will send me summons? I am confused what they will do. It's just my friend has to go through answering them if sheriff comes in person and I can't do that to my firend. Please help me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2010, 08:00 AM

If they gave you a case #, you can verify that the case exists and find out the status. If you don't answer the complaint they will get a default judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of Prism Resolutions Collection Agency? THANKS

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that I would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill...

Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

Can an Ontario collection agency use email as it's first means of contact and in that email disclose detailed personal information?

Collection Agency Suing [ 4 Answers ]

I have a court date coming up on April 23. I am being sued by Mann Bracken on behelf of Chase. I owe them $8,200.00. I am self employed and have two bank accounts one for personal and one for business. I live in Nashville, Tennessee and work in the music business. I have so many questions. I am in...

View more questions Search