Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolmc1948 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Bankrupsty annd credit card debt
    I had a small business a few years ago and when I went under I transferred the credit card onto 3 different credit cards with 0% interest rates for a period. I had continued to pay on all of them and of course the rates did go up. No problem. But 2 & 1/2 years ago BOA raised their rate from 3.99% to a whopping 29.99% and closed out the card. Well, I called them and said I could not make these minimum payments. They refused to lower it even to 12.99%. So, I just stopped paying. This wseek a judgement was placed against me. I live in NC and afraid of the consequences... take my house, my bank accounts that are in both my husband's an my name and so on. Can I file for personal bankruptsy with just myyself? We do have property we are trying to sell to pay off all our credit card debt. I also am on social security.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2010, 06:47 PM

If you are trying to pay them off, why are you worried about money in the bank, did you not intend to pay them anyway ? You agree you owe them the money ?

But yes, with the garnishment, they may take money from any account that you are owner or part owner of.

Were the credit cards in both names or just your name.

If you file bankruptcy you will still have issues with the houses and property you own, bank accounts and more if they are over the allowed
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Oct 22, 2010, 01:54 PM

Why not just take the money in the bank and work on paying them off? Every thing you own such as bank accounts, house, car etc. will come into play if you file bk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad? [ 11 Answers ]

Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

View more questions Search