Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mike_P. Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2004, 10:47 AM
    Missing file msstdfmt.dll
    Hello

I've downloaded a piece of diagnostic software that will not run because it says that I am missing the file MSSTDFMT.DLL. The Microsoft web site tells me this stands for "Microsoft Standard Data Formating Object".

I have located this .DLL at www.dll-files.com and believe it should be downloaded to my system directory, but am not sure that I should do this. I'm running Windows XP Home and am not sure whether this DLL is normally part of this system or indeed if it is how I lost it!

Advice please on whether it would be harmful to download this .DLL and full path for downloading if it is OK.

Dreamboat Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2004, 10:51 PM
    Re: Missing File MSSTDFMT.DLL
    Quite honestly, Mike, I don't know if you downloaded the software to find out if you have missing files and it's telling you it's missing--in which case I would NOT install it--of if you downloaded a piece of software that you cannot run because it says it's missing that dll--in which case, I would install it.

I'm pretty sure dll-files.com has been around awhile--it sounds fairly familiar to me, and is reputable.
    Mike_P. Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2004, 10:15 AM
    Hello Dreamboat - the mind boggles!

I have solved the problem.

I first tried run "sfc /scannow" on the suggestion of a.n.other but it didn't find the file on my system or re-install it from my Windows CD. It's clearly not part of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1.

However, having downloaded it from www.dll-files.com, I didn't realise it has to be registered before it becomes active. This is done by clicking Start\run and then typing C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe Msstdfmt.dll

Thanks for your interest.

lozer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2004, 06:46 PM
    I tried what u said Mike but it says: Msstdfmt.dll failed the specified module could not be found. Why won't it work?
    killacrip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Okai whut you have tO DO IS GOOGLE the file MSSTDFMT.DLL and click any one donwload it then minimize that icon now click start click my computer then click C: folder and you will see a file called windows open that then click on system 32 file and open up the MSSTDFMT.DLL file and right click it copy it then go to system 32 folder and right click and click paste their your file should work if not add me [email protected]OPED I HELPED:D
    stkotic_nubcake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lozer View Post
    I tryed what u said Mike but it says: Msstdfmt.dll failed the specified module could not be found. Why wont it work?
    Hey, I'm kind of computer handy but haven't messed with registry so this took a couple of minutes for me to figure out
    Buti had the same problem as you and its because I tried to put the whole dll folder in system 32

Simply take the dll from the download and paste it in your system 32 folder then go start, run and then typing C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe Msstdfmt.dll

Also make sure that with that start run address that it is addressed t the right folder
    Mine was actually WINNT not WINDOWS

Hope this helped
    ste1438 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 03:19 AM
    Download "File Menu Tools" Freeware - install it.
    Copy the DLL to your windows/system Folder
    Right click and select --> File Menu tools --> Register DLL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing comm.drv file [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I use Windows XP runnng on 1.8GB clock speed. I receive an error message saying: NTVDM KERNEL: Missing 16-bit system module Please re-install the following module to your system32 directory: COMM.DRV I've searched my entire hard disk and sure enough, no such file exists. What should I...

Missing SKU112.CAB file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My Windows Installer keeps popping up and says I am missing this file. I cannot locate the CD for my Microsoft Office 2003 Standard Student & Teacher Edition (good for 3 computers in the home). That means, I cannot replace the missing file. However, I read that the CD doesn't have the...

Missing file for JL2005A camera [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to set up a Jl2005A dual function digital camera together with ArcSoft Photoimpression 4 from a CD. I have Windows XP and lots of harddisc. I have also in the past downloaded (online) Service Pack 2. When I connect the camera via a USB I get a message "The file 'dshowext.ax' on Windows...

View more questions Search