Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fangbird49 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2004, 02:33 PM
    Microsoft Office XP installation
    ?? I have MS Office 2000 Premium installed. I want to install MS Office XP. Do I install over 2000 or what? Will I lose all mt my Outlook e-mail?
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jul 23, 2004, 08:21 PM
    Hi fangbird49,

I would suggest that you backup Outlook Mail and anything else of importance first, then uninstall Office 2000. Another way would be to install Office XP in a different folder, then you'll have both installed.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14

Jul 24, 2004, 08:35 AM
    Re: Microsoft Office XP installation
    ?? How do I do this? This computer scares me when I have to do something like that.

Jul 26, 2004, 06:18 PM
    Hey, you're probably thinking I forgot my usual backup lecture. No way. Microsoft's Personal Folders Backup utility makes tucking away critical .pst files in Outlook 2000 and 2002 practically automatic. The Microsoft Office Download Center offers this great freebie. If you use other Microsoft Office apps, play it even safer by using the Save My Settings Wizard, which backs up all your Office 2000 and 2002 settings (such as dictionaries, templates, and AutoCorrect lists) in a single profile that the program uploads and stores on a Microsoft server. This wizard is included in Office XP, but if you use Office 2000, visit the Microsoft Office Download Center for your free copy.

From: http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...62,pg,2,00.asp

Please go to the above site for more information.

Check out the following site also:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=93018

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14

Jul 27, 2004, 09:09 AM
    ?? I went to the link and was told the thing was not available. If it is included in office xp, is it nececessary to download it for 2000 also? Will it not be covered by the xp?

Jul 27, 2004, 09:35 AM
    Check out the following:

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...EC010553071033

You should always backup data before upgrading to a newer version, just in case. It's better to be safe, than sorry.

Hope this helps!
    Whisket14

Jul 27, 2004, 12:00 PM
    :)Thank you. I will print it out and try to follow it and pray. Have a blessed day.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2004, 02:36 AM
    It is safe to simply upgrade to Office XP. You will not lose any data. I do this almost everyday in my business.
    emg108 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Installing Office 2003 professional
    I have Office 2000 Premium and am thinking of buying Office 2003 Proffessional.
    I assume I should remove 2000 before installing 2003.
    I use Outlook Express. Will that be effected at all?
    Will anything I've saved in My Documents be effected?
    Thank you
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2005, 10:05 AM
    Outlook Express
    HI,
    One way to back up Outlook Express is:
    Do you have a burner drive?

If so,
    Insert a CD-R in your burner drive.
    Copy all the files from your emai, and that can be found at:
    Windows/Application Data/Identities, and then click on the folder with the long numbers.
    Click on the Microsoft folder.
    Click on the Outlook Express folder.
    Then, highlight all the files, such as Inbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx, etc.
    After burning them to the CD-R, you can copy them back when you install your new XP, if you have to.
    This is just one way to back up; there are many.
    fredg
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2005, 11:12 AM
    Outlook Express
    Hi, emg108,
    Outlook Express is completely different and separate from Office 2000, Office 2003, XP, or anything else.
    It is part of Internet Explorer.

If you use, say IE6 or IE6/SP1, you can install or re-install IE along with Outlook Express at anytime; separate from all the above.

You're my Documents files and folders WILL NOT BE AFFECTED by installing another version of Office, Word, or anything.

My own computer setup shows My Documents listed under:
    c:/my documents.
    I can even re-install windows completely, and My Documents will still be there, and be ready to use with the new windows.

My Documents (like word docs, such as myfile.doc) are not associated with the windows operating system. They will still be there.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    emg108 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2005, 11:52 AM
    Again, thank you. I'm not sure whether I should be replying this way or the previous way!
    So, all in all, nothing as it is now will be changed by removing Office 2000 and replacing with Office 2003?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microsoft Office Problem? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I have Windows XP. I do a system restore every couple of months on my Sony Vaio to speed the computer up. I have two drives (C) and (D). The system restore deletes everything on my C drive but D is uneffected. So I decided to install Microsoft office on D so that I wouldn't have...

Microsoft Office 2003 Professional [ 1 Answers ]

I have just installed a new master hard drive in my computer, and am attempting to install my copy of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional. Unfortunately, I've lost the serial number - no, really. I still have Office installed on the slave (used to be master) drive, and I'm wondering if there's...

Saving Microsoft office standard edition [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering how I can save my Microsoft office programs such as word, powerpoint, access and excel.. on to a cd. I bought this computer and it already came with office so I don't have the original cd for it and now I am wondering how can I back up these PROGRAMS on to a cd so I can transfer...

Microsoft Office 97 Professional Edition [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to purchase a new PC and I am wondering if Office 97 is compatible with Windows XP. Thank you. :)

View more questions Search