Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ortonm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Seller for a contract for deed dies
    Seller for a contract for deed dies and there is no PR appointed yet. Can the buyer pay off the amount to anyone else such as: clerk of courts or register of deeds?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 20, 2010, 01:49 PM
    No. You pay the estate. Be careful about who you are paying (executor) in case any heirs prove to be a problem.
    ortonm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 01:54 PM
    The buyer is the son of the seller and his father passed away. He doesn't want any problems with his siblings so he wanted to pay the balance off without any problems and the easiest way.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 01:58 PM

This is the reason the buyer must pay the estate. He is a sib too and all must be treated equally or according to the dad's will.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2010, 04:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ortonm View Post
    He doesn't want any problems with his siblings so he wanted to pay the balance off without any problems and the easiest way.
    Hello o:

If the sale is legal, then there won't BE any problems from his sibs... But, if they don't like it, they're not going to like it any more when he pays it off.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2010, 04:13 AM

Yes, you have to pay the estate. But until an executor is appointed by a probate court, you have no one to pay. If you are looking to pay the contract off in full, then you can prepare a draft made out to the estate of... Have it ready for when an executor is appointed.

You can also have the amount deducted from your inheritance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax implications of a contract for deed for buyer and seller [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am looking to purchase a primary residence on a contract for deed basis. My understanding is that I, as the purchaser, would be able to write off the interest I pay on my yearly taxes. My question is, can the seller continue to write off the interest he is paying on the mortgage he...

Seller obligation upon satisfaction of contract for deed [ 4 Answers ]

I have made the final payment on a contract to deed mortgage. What should I expect from the seller and when should I expect to receive it?

Contract for Deed Seller has not filled contract [ 9 Answers ]

I need to know where we stand, this is very frustrating for us. The proposal was land (Wyoming), and refurbished trailer in the country. We put $2,000 down and went to an escrow company to fill out the paperwork for closing etc. "Contract for Deed" The contract stated we would take possession...

Contract for deed, seller dies [ 4 Answers ]

Two questions: Can my mom sell me one of her investment properties on contract for deed if there is a mortgage on the property? What happens if she dies,the existing mortgage has not been paid off, and we have a contract for deed on the property?

Contract for deed and seller will not leave premises [ 7 Answers ]

We have a contract for deed for a house and trailer on this property, we have paid our down payment as scheduled and made all the mortgage payments as stated on our contract, the seller told us that she needed to stay there in the trailer on the property for three months until she could move, now...

View more questions Search