Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alambrose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Who gets the house?
    Note: I am in the son-in-law, trying to obtain information for my distraught mother -in-law.

Here is the situation:

My mother-in-law (Ethel) lives on xxxx Street in Philadelphia, PA. Ethel's mother, and Ethel's mother's two sisters (Ethel's aunts, Edna & Edith), all lived nearby on the same street.

The home is owned & paid in full, by one of the aunts (Edna); Edna was never married, and is childless.

Edna told Ethel that if she (Edna) were to pass away, ownership of the home would pass to Ethel.

When Ethel's mother passed away, Edna again declared to Ethel that she (Ethel), would inherit the house and even gave to Ethel the original deed for safekeeping, although no legal transfer of ownership took place at that time.

The two remaining aunts (Edna the homeowner and her sister Edith) continued to live in the house. Edith has a daughter (Eleanor), and around 6-7yrs ago, Edna declared in the presence of Eleanor & Ethel, that upon her (Edna's) passing, Ethel would receive the property and Eleanor would receive whatever savings she (Edna) had remaining.

Soon thereafter Edith became infirm, and move in with her daughter Eleanor. Not long after this, Edna's health began failing, and Edna was forced to move in with Eleanor as well.

This brings us to present day. Both aunts are in failing health (ages mid-90's), and living with Eleanor, and Eleanor's husband. Edna has about $100k in savings. Edna's property is valued around $130k.

Ethel has is in the process of selling her home on xxxx Street, has a buyer, and is actively seeking an affordable place to live. Xxxx Street has become too crime ridden & drug infested.

Ethel mentioned to Eleanor that she might move into Aunt Edna's home down the street, in the interim, while she continues to look for a home.

Eleanor told Ethel not to move into the house, and that she was taking the house as compensation for the care she is providing for Edna.

At this time we do not know if Eleanor has power-of-attorney over Edna, although we believe she does. We believe that Edna (under duress) may have been told to sign papers that were thrust in front of her, giving Eleanor POA... maybe even alteration of the will or possibly transfer of the property.

Ethel still has the actual deed to the property, and the keys to the home... Where do we go from here?

Eleanor was certainly kind to take in her mother, and her aunt... but she has already been promised Aunt Edna's savings. It appears she is abusing her position as POA to cut Ethel out of Edna's will, and take everything... which is not in line with Edna's wishes.

This is a difficult situation as Edna is still alive, dependent upon (and easily manipualted by) Eleanor. Any suggestions?
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Jan 2, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alambrose
    Note: I am in the son-in-law, trying to obtain information for my distraught mother -in-law.

Here is the situation:

My mother-in-law (Ethel) lives on xxxx Street in Philadelphia, PA. Ethel's mother, and Ethel's mother's two sisters (Ethel's aunts, Edna & Edith), all lived nearby on the same street.

The home is owned & paid in full, by one of the aunts (Edna); Edna was never married, and is childless.

Edna told Ethel that if she (Edna) were to pass away, ownership of the home would pass to Ethel.

When Ethel's mother passed away, Edna again declared to Ethel that she (Ethel), would inherit the house and even gave to Ethel the original deed for safekeeping, although no legal transfer of ownership took place at that time.

The two remaining aunts (Edna the homeowner and her sister Edith) continued to live in the house. Edith has a daughter (Eleanor), and around 6-7yrs ago, Edna declared in the presence of Eleanor & Ethel, that upon her (Edna's) passing, Ethel would receive the property and Eleanor would receive whatever savings she (Edna) had remaining.

Soon thereafter Edith became infirm, and move in with her daughter Eleanor. Not long after this, Edna's health began failing, and Edna was forced to move in with Eleanor as well.

This brings us to present day. Both aunts are in failing health (ages mid-90's), and living with Eleanor, and Eleanor's husband. Edna has about $100k in savings. Edna's property is valued around $130k.

Ethel has is in the process of selling her home on xxxx Street, has a buyer, and is actively seeking an affordable place to live. xxxx Street has become too crime ridden & drug infested.

Ethel mentioned to Eleanor that she might move into Aunt Edna's home down the street, in the interim, while she continues to look for a home.

Eleanor told Ethel not to move into the house, and that she was taking the house as compensation for the care she is providing for Edna.

At this time we do not know if Eleanor has power-of-attorney over Edna, although we believe she does. We believe that Edna (under duress) may have been told to sign papers that were thrust in front of her, giving Eleanor POA... maybe even alteration of the will or possibly transfer of the property.

Ethel still has the actual deed to the property, and the keys to the home... Where do we go from here?

Eleanor was certainly kind to take in her mother, and her aunt... but she has already been promised Aunt Edna's savings. It appears she is abusing her position as POA to cut Ethel out of Edna's will, and take everything... which is not in line with Edna's wishes.

This is a difficult situation as Edna is still alive, dependent upon (and easily manipualted by) Eleanor. Any suggestions?
    Does Edna have a Will, be it a Living Will or a Last Will & Testament, the answer to this question will highlight your next steps to take... if a will exist... then whatsoever is outlined shall be the portion executed; hoever, if no will exist, it is vital to have this house agreement between the Ethel and Edna witnesses and notarized... make sure all property taxes are up to date

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old house [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a home built in 1940's and am doing some remodeling. I unhooked my bathroom light fixture that hung above the mirror and found that the wires were not color coded as I had expected. Of course in my hurry I did not label which wires went to what on the original fixture. Now I am...

Well to House [ 2 Answers ]

My well is about 75 yards from my house, I used 2 inch pipe to go from my well to the house, I have water pressure that will almost take the skin off your hand at the pump and outside before the house. But inside my water pressure is low, the water leaves the pump bladders I have two and goes...

Who gets the house [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got married (year ago). However I bought my house when I was single about 5 years ago. If I decide to divorce my husband does he have any rights to my house if I decide to sell? He is not on my deed.

Who gets the house? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married 1 1/2 years. We bought a house in April 2004. The loan is only in my name because his credit is horrible but his name is also on the deed. He has been lying to me about large amounts of money received and spent from our joint checking account and I am thinking...

House [ 1 Answers ]

If you file for bankruptcy can you lose your home

View more questions Search