Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morcho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 07:40 PM
    Electric service to out building
    Garage/outbuilding is 100 ft from house service panel is 4 gage aluminium wire overkill for a garage door opener and 6 lights and 6 recepticals?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:53 AM
    A bit, but given the choices of available wire sizes, I think you will be fine.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:57 PM
    #4 is already in a subpanel? what is the panel rating or are you just planning to run the feed to the garage. If not, how are you going to reduce the size of the #4 wire to a workable #-12/14AWG. Welders? 240V compressors? If you are only using 15 and 20 amp outlets, #4 is plenty big and may be overkill but it is always better to be too big than too small. #4 aluminum is probably cheaper than 6 or 8 copper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reliant Building Products, Bankruptcy Warranty Claim Service [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings: I wish to file a WARRANTY CLAIM relative to Reliant Building Products, which furnished Carefree brand vinyl replacement windows installed on my home . Following is a brief description of my claim. In June 1999 Consumer Construction, Inc.(CCI), 14841 Build America Drive...

Electric Service [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a law in NJ that prohibites an electric company from turning off your service from a certain time to a certain time for non payment of a bill of $110.00? I know in other states they can't turn off electric service from Nov. to April 15.

Electric Service New Construction [ 10 Answers ]

We are trying to decide whether to buy a larger than average lot (2.5 acres) in a subdivision and we're wondering what type of major expense we might be looking at in getting the electric service down to the building site. The building site is approximately 600 feet from the street with an...

New electric service [ 1 Answers ]

What size wire for a 400' run to a 200 amp service

Electric service panel [ 5 Answers ]

Would a 60 amp electrical service panel be too big or too small for a 2800 square foot house?

View more questions Search