Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    little herbie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 02:48 PM
    MTD lawn machine will not restart
    I have a 10-year old MTD lawn machine. I can fully charge the battery, run the machine for 10-20 minutes, turn it off and it won't restart. The motor turns over a couple of times very slowly before the battery is totally drained. The volt meter reflects that the machine is charging. When it cools off, it may restart. Also, when it is running, a lot of what looks like exhaust smoke is coming from the hose that connects from the motor to the bottom of the air cleaner.
    Please help.
    Thanks
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jan 2, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Does the engine itself smoke when running? The hose that goes to the air cleaner is the crankase breather hose (EGR). It could be that you are experiencing a hydraulic lock due to fluid in the cylinder head and it is not allowing the piston to reach TDC easily.

Check your oil level and smell it for gasoline. If you are overfull of oil, or gasoline is filling the crankcase you will experience a lot of blowby out the breather hose.

You can also remove the spark plug and see if the engine rotates well. Check for excessive fluid coming out the spark plug hole.

Good luck
    Don
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Breather really isn't a egr (exhaust gas return) more like a pcv valve (positive crankcase ventilation) it lets the internal crankcase pressure out, and the gases...

IS that tube off? And or cracked? Replace it, the carbs sucking dirt through there...

But do follow what newaukumdon said... and report back if you can..

Kind of sounds like a worn out starter to me..

Jan 3, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Thank you both for your prompt reply and help. I have taken the top of the unit off, as I had to replace the pinion gear on the starter and wanted to make sure the thing ran before reassembling everything. Consequently, the air cleaner assembly is not on and the hose in question is not connected. The starter engages properly when the unit is cold, but the battery appears to run down while the unit is running. I put a brand new heavy duty battery on the unit and it quickly lost its charge. There is not an oversupply of oil and the oil does not smell of gas. The unit ran beautifully until I fouled the blades with a trash bag. I have had problems since that time. When it is running, it cuts properly.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 12:58 AM
    It could be, not even related but a coincidence with the trash bag...

One thing to make sure of, is the wiring (mainly the wires from under the flywheel) are tight and clean... and nothings drawing power (for example, some mowers never had dual alternators back then... and the lights ran off the battery)

Jan 22, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thebriggsdude
    It could be, not even related but a coincidence with the trash bag...

One thing to make sure of, is the wiring (mainly the wires from under the flywheel) are tight and clean... and nothings drawing power (for example, some mowers never had dual alternators back then.... and the lights ran off the battery)

Thanks for all your help. You mentioned the starter originally and this obviously was the problem. I pulled it off and found a crack in the ceramic where the power cable bolted on. Got a new starter from Jack's Small Engines and just installed it. The problem appears solved (for the time being). Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

MTD Lawn Tractor [ 8 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a 1991 MTD lawn tractor 18hp w/46" deck, 6 speed, low and high range. Over the past year 1st through 4th won't move tractor forward and I have to use position 5 or 6. Is this a problem with the trans or a drive belt problem? The only belts that have ever been changed are the deck...

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

Mtd lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

I have an MTD lawn tractor seems to act like it is sliping if forward gear I have repaced the belt. Does not do this in reverse. Could it be the transmission is that rebuildable?

MTD Lawn Tractor won't turn over. [ 1 Answers ]

After mowing one afternoon, I shut my tractor off and came back to it about an hour later and it would not turn over. I've replaced the battery and the solenoid and it still does not turn over.. Please help. Thanks

View more questions Search