Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newlandlord30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 12:17 PM
    Tenant moved in roommate without notifying me, what action can I take?
    I am renting out my house in WA state. The lease states that additional roommates are not permitted, but I have reason to believe that an additional person has moved in without the tenant notifying me. Is this legal? What recourse do I have?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 12:47 PM

The tenant - if you can prove what you believe to be true - has broken the lease. You have grounds to evict. There is also no longer a lease so you can raise the rent or make any other conditions you see fit.
    AIrmansGirl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 10:32 AM
    If it is stated in the lease that no additional persons are allowed to move in then you can evict your current renter and move someone else in.. If you don't want to go through that then make the new " roommate" pay a deposit equal to the current renters and also have them sign a lease also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you take action against a roommate who broke lease [ 1 Answers ]

I moved in with my roommate in Jan of 2008. In Jan of 2010 she decided to quit her job, move out and go back to school leaving me to handle bills that we were both responsible for. Due to a pay cut I couldn't handle all the bills on my own and I eventually moved with a friend. After explaining the...

My roommate is my landlord - her boyfriend moved in! [ 9 Answers ]

My roommate is also my landlord. She owns a condo and I rent a room from her. Since I've moved in (November 10th) I've had problems with her. After a week of living there I knew I wanted out. I asked her to amend the lease since it's only been a week and her response was, "sweetie i'm not...

Roommate moved out without telling me [ 1 Answers ]

What do I Do when my roommate moves out with out telling me while I'm 4 hours away and she took some of my things?

Notifying tenant of sale [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in the state of Florida and I can't find anything governing my situation. My rental of 2 years to the same tenant will go on the market next year. My tenant at first wanted a 3 year lease and 1st dibbs to buy. No price was discussed and I told him we would see how it went. I spoke to him...

Help roommate moved out and refuses to pay rent [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are on a lease with someone in NC. The rent is $800. My boyfriend actually pays rent somewhere else but basically lives with me. Before the "someone" moved in I informed them that my boyfriend basically lives with me. She said okay and agreed to paying half the rent. She...

View more questions Search