Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fedupinsc71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 06:34 AM
    My brother beat me severely can I sue him in small claims court
    We were @ our parents for his daughters birthday party when he got pissed off started throwing my dads things around, my dad told him to cool it, he then pushed my 73 y/o dad down and I pushed him(brother) off him(dad) and my brother came after me and started kicking and punching me in the back, ribs, and head. I left, the police arrived made a report so I could have him arrested if I chose. I want to know the maximum amount I can sue him for in small claims court in South Carolina for the bills and pain and suffering. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinsc71 View Post
    so I could have him arrested if I chose. I want to know the maximum amount I can sue him for in small claims court in south carolina for the bills and pain and suffering. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Hello f:

The max in South Carolina is $7,500. If you want to INSURE victory, have him arrested.

excon
    fedupinsc71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 07:10 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thanks excon. It happened in aug of this year the sherriff's dept says I can still have him picked up, do you know if this is correct?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupinsc71 View Post
    do you know if this is correct?
    Hello f:

Probably not. It's not up to YOU to press criminal charges. It's up to the cops. If THEY didn't arrest him then, I doubt they'll arrest him now..

But, of course, cops don't make any sense to me. Never have.. So, if THESE cops are telling you that, then I'd take 'em up on their word.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello f:

Probably not. It's not up to YOU to press criminal charges. It's up to the cops. If THEY didn't arrest him then, I doubt they'll arrest him now..

But, of course, cops don't make any sense to me. Never have.. So, if THESE cops are telling you that, then I'd take 'em up on their word.

excon
    I'm guessing that the cops back then didn't think it necessary to bother with the paperwork to take it to court but, if you want they will. Then, if a warrant is issued they will pick him up.

Excon was suggesting you get him arrested so that he can't defend the civil (small claims) case. That doesn't seem fair to me. But, if playing fair is not important to you, it might be useful.

Or he might also mean that if your brother-in-law pleads guilty to assault and battery, that portion of the small claims case would be considered proven (res judicata is the Latin term). True, all you would need to prove would be damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you sue for libel in small claims court [ 25 Answers ]

Libel suit in small claims court?

Can you sue a bank in small claims court in California [ 5 Answers ]

Our club had an account with Washington Mutual Bank, which was taken over by Chase Bank. We did not use our account for two years. During this time our treasurer did not receive a statement. The bank said they sent a letter, which they can't produce now, that told us they were closing our...

If a petitioner looses in small claims court can you sue again [ 5 Answers ]

I was the petitioner in a small claims case. I lost. The defendant is the only one that can appeal the judges decision. I need to know if I can sue the person for the same thing or does it have to be something totally different.

How to sue bank america in small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

THIS IS UNBELIVABLE... NEED DIRECTION: Aug 2009 Bank America takes $8750.00 from my company (XYZ) that I am one of 11 shareholders, I am an officer and one of two signers I find out only after hours, and I mean escalated to highest levels, hung up on, LOST IN VOICE MAIL HELL Here's what...

Can I sue for defamation in CA small claims court? [ 6 Answers ]

2 months ago I was fired for talking about hockey during the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs (I workd as a temp for 6 mos). The conversations didn't prevent me from doing work (it was slow & I finished all the work given to me), my ex-supe just got fed up and demanded that I never talk about hockey again...

View more questions Search