Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjlawr02 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 08:13 PM
    Grace places plums in bags in bundles of 8 and kiwis in bags in bundles of 4.
    After selling each bag of plums for 2 dollars and bags of kiwis for 5 dollars, she earns 2516 dollars. If Grace sells 7x the amount of kiwis as bags of plums, how many pieces of fruit did she sell?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 01:16 AM

Let p represent the number of bags of plums and k represent the number of bags of kiwis.

The plums are sold in bags which cost $2 each. So, price of all the bags of plums is given by

So, 2p

The kiwis are sold in bags which cost $5 each. So, price of all the bags of kiwis is given by

So, 5k

Together, they amount up to:

2p + 5k = 2516

Now, there are 7 times the number of bags of kiwis more than the number of bags of plums.

So, we have:

k = 6p

Use simultaneous equations to solve for k and p.

Since you have the number of bags and you know how many fruits there are in each bag, can you work out the total number of fruits sold?
    Metessa.mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2012, 11:49 AM
    This question is from 6th grade math, I googled for an easy way to explain and found all answers were over my 6th graders head. I worked it several ways and found this one the easiest to explain. Hope I'm right I've been going around and adding my answer because I'm hoping it will be helpful.

this is how I explained it to my kid, hope I'm right

answer is (x*8) + (7x*4) = y

We got to figure out how many bags were sold

(x*2) + (7x*5) = 2516

if x equaled 1 it would look like this 2 + (7*5) = 37

so divide 2516/37... 2516/37 =68

x = 68

check (x*2)+(7x*5)=2516 = (68*2)+(476*5)=2516 = 136+2380 = 2516

answer is (x*8) + (7x*4) = y

(68*8)+((7*68)*4) = 544+(476*4) = 544+1904 = 2448

answer 2448 pieces of fruit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bags under eyes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best solution for reducing bags under eyes... I have tried more sleep, potato slices, tea bags and even preparation H... Is there a medicated cream that might work...

Which is a better Xbox 360 bundle? Two bundles, two different prices. Which one ? [ 5 Answers ]

This guy is offering me : 360 that comes with a 60 gb hard drive and 2 wirless controlers all cords and 11 games... Eat lead, Prey, The Bourne Conspiracy, Grid, Xbox live arcade, Spiderman friend or foe, Nba 2k9, Alone In the dark, Mirrors Edge, Superman Returns, Need for speed Pro Street for...

Undereye bags [ 1 Answers ]

I have incredibly large bags under my eyes. They are there 24/7. Sometimes my right eye actually has two bags. What can I do? I appreciate any tips.

Bags under eyes [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get rid of bags under you eyes in a natural way??

View more questions Search