Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheCoachJason Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 04:57 PM
    I can't connect to the internet after a system restore, both wireles and wired.
    I did a system restore on my hp dv6000 laptop. My Norton virus scan had just ran out and I got a virus that blocked access to internet explorer and ctrl-alt-del. The system restore only went back 3 days but when completed, I cannot access the internet through any means.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 04:59 PM

You may have to reinstall the drivers again for it. If the virus infected those files a system restore might not have overwritten them.

Oct 18, 2010, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    You may have to reinstall the drivers again for it. If the virus infected those files a system restore might not have overwritten them.
    The laptop didn't come with any driver discs and I am a computer illiterate. How do I reinstall drivers without discs?

Oct 18, 2010, 06:05 PM

Ok, I figured out how to uninstall and reinstall drivers. Still no luck. The computer connects to the network but not to the internet. It says "local access only"
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 06:16 PM

Try rebooting your modem / network device. Then turn your laptop on to connect.

Oct 18, 2010, 06:28 PM

Tried that too, still no change.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 06:31 PM

Ok, Did you try going to internet explorer and try to go to a website. It should give you the option when it fails to repair the connection.

Oct 18, 2010, 06:54 PM

Yes, it runs it's diagnostic and says to call my ISP. I called the ISP, they say the evidence that it's not their network is that other computers are working on it.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCoachJason View Post
    Yes, it runs it's diagnostic and says to call my ISP. I called the ISP, they say the evidence that it's not their network is that other computers are working on it.
    Are you using that connection now? Did you receive a disk from your isp? You might have to install that also by creating a network connection.

Oct 18, 2010, 06:58 PM

I may have to dig the disk out of mothballs. Thanks a million for your help. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 07:00 PM

Your welcome.

Oct 19, 2010, 03:22 AM

Ok, tried that, still no change. Do you think that downloading a new version of the drivers onto another computer and then x-ferring them to the broken one might work?
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 02:50 PM

No that wouldn't be a good idea. When you try to connect wireless does it show up as a network?

Oct 19, 2010, 07:00 PM

Yes but it says unidentified network and in the network and sharing center it only connects to modem not to internet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect a satellite receiver to my computer/internet system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a satellite receiver and satellite internet service but no home phone line due to the poor quality of phone service in my rural area. However I am currently paying an extra $10.00 a month because the satellite receiver is not connected to a phone line on my satellite bill. I am told I can...

Getting onto Internet after system restore [ 3 Answers ]

I recently restored my laptop to a previous date & time to correct an error. Restoring did not correct this error - so I restored it back to the current date & time. Ever since that restore I can not get on to the internet, I have followed all the prompts from windows (Reboot modem & router, reset...

How do I connect to internet after system restore [ 2 Answers ]

After doing a system restore on my computer, I can't connect to the internet. A page is displayed that states. Page cannot be displayed.

Error 678 when trying to connect to internet. Doing a System Recovery didn't fix it. [ 10 Answers ]

I have a Compaq Presario with Windows XP. I get this error when trying to connect to the internet: (using a speedstream modem - DSL service from SBC) Error connecting to My ISP Error 678: The remote computer did not respond. For Further assistance, click More Info or search Help and...

System restore, worms, internet explorer, help [ 4 Answers ]

I wonder if anyone can help me , not sure where to begin, but here goes, Internet explore crashes when I try to access favourites, read mail etc, when I try to close the page I get a programme not responding message , I shut down my comp and when I start it up again things are fine for a while,...

View more questions Search