Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Water Circulates Through Mixing Valve
    I've installed a Kohler Thermostatic Mixing Valve with Volume Control (K-404) in my shower construction project and just noticed that the hot water is circulating up through the valve and then back down the cold pipe! Yikes- this puts water from the hot water heater into the drinking water and seems like a big energy waster. I'm sure the valve is installed according to their directions and nothing is leaking. Reading further about how the mixer works, I can imagine how this happens. Seems to me that they should warn you about this.

Is there anything practical I can do? What about a backflow valve on the cold water supply to the shower? Would it cut down on the flow? Putting one in at this point when most everything is covered would be a real pain, but is probably better than leaving the situation as is.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 5, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Tom - Have you ever seen anything like this? Would the backflow device work? Thanks - Dennis
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2007, 03:57 PM
    No I haven't Dennis, This is a cross connection but I can't pull up a breakdown view of the faucet but if I were him I'd return the valve and ask for a replacment. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mixing liver enzymes with water [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a biology course I did an experiment last week and have forgotten the answer when mixing liver enzymes with water why is there no reaction:rolleyes:

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Water Shut-off Valve [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace the valve supplying water to the toilet water tank, but am unable to unscrew it. It turns, but it does not come off. What can I do? Need help ASAP! Thank you!

Hot and cold water mixing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a problem with hot and cold water mixing or so I've been told by a few plumbers. One said to replace all the shower and sink faucets as they were old and that would be the easiest place to start. We've replaced all but one shower faucet. The other two that we replaced now don't have...

Water Shutoff Valve [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote: Originally Posted by Rowland Two Prob: 1) Indiviual water shutoffs not working in 36 year old home bathrooms/kitchen. Repair or replace? Are they repairable? 2) Dwelling/Home main shutoff in basement not...

View more questions Search