Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 03:27 PM
    I'm new at this and really confused
    I'm hoping some of you computer gurus can help me out here. My husband is starting his own business and has been advised to start a website.

I haven't a clue about web hosting or the costs, what's best or worse, or even how to begin to design a site.

I've heard that godaddy is good, as well as InMotion, just to name a couple. Does anyone have any advice for me?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 04:17 PM

There are lots of free sites you can park at. One of the things your going to have to get first is a name for yourself. SO you / he can now be a dotcom ;)

You can check that and see how much a name may be.

Plenty of parking on the net to get his name out there and also don't forget YouTube for video promotions.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 05:43 PM

We already have a domain name that is available.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 05:57 PM

OK, step 2 is to find a place to park it. From there you put your site up and your off and running.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Oct 18, 2010, 06:55 PM

Microsoft has a suite of online tools to help a small business get online will no technical know-how required. Most are free, including basic hosting.

http://www.microsoft.com/business/en...s/default.aspx
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2010, 02:01 AM
    Hi, J_9!

Some helpful hints, in case your interested...

1) If a business has a .com, net, org, or any of the other types of addresses that a person has to pay for, having those types of suffixes doesn't guarantee that the website will get good results when people go searching for what the business does and where it's located. The free website hosting services usually will have tools that are readily available to enable people to place the website on the indexes of the search engines. Whereas, if a person has to or chooses to use their own template, they will have to figure out how to put the correct things in for the format of the template in order to get the optimum exposure. Plus, just the words used on the visible portions of a website are also very important in getting the website attention in addition to the things that are "hidden" in the background.

2) Many, if not all of the free web hosting services will allow people to use their own templates. Website developing is available in many word formatting programs like Microsoft Word. Also most, if not all of the free website hosting services will have templates to use that are more than fine for most small businesses. If a person doesn't like images that are already available, then typically, they can insert their own. Many, many options are available concerning the configuring of the format when using the free website hosting services. Really takes a lot of the guesswork and hassle out of designing a website. Northwind_Dagas gave another, excellent example.

3) If a person wants to pay for hosting, then that's their choice. I just want to point out that there is more than one way of doing things in order to be successful. I've never paid for anything that I've posted on the Internet, be it on any of the websites that I've put together and/or in the advertising on other sites that I've done. I get excellent exposure as well as results. If someone is just needing a simple website, then the free hosting services will almost certainly be enough for what they want to do. With the free services, online stores, visitor tracking, guestbooks, blogs, forums, image galleries and videos, even games sometimes and more are typical things that are available for free.

4) The name of a website can be something different than the actual name of a company. The name can be worded in such a way that will be more likely to attract visitors. The real name of the business can than be in places on the actual website.

5) When putting together a website using a free website hosting service, what I've usually found, is that a person can practice putting the site together without actually publishing portions or even the whole site.

6) When using words, phrases and sentences on a website, it's usually possible for a person to use a background color to enable the concealment of those things like that, that are "visitor magnets" so that not seeing them will make the site look neat and attractive rather than loaded with a lot of "fluff."

7) A person can have more than one website for the same business.

8) Utilizing the free ways to advertise on the Internet can help to bring attention to a website. Some of the free advertising places on the Internet will even send a business acknowledgement in the snail mail when you've advertised a business on them.

9) Submitting a business and/or website to Google Places and Google Maps is easy to do. Don't have to have a website to submit to them. Can submit more than one business also.

10) These aren't the only places for the free website hosting. Others have already been mentioned on a number of threads. The ones that I really like are:

Learn more about Google Sites
    http://www.webs.com/
    Bravenet - Web Hosting, Free Web Hosting and Web Tools
    Tripod - Succeed Online - Excellent web hosting, domains, e-mail and an easy website builder tool

They are user-friendly and I know that websites hosted on them are capable of getting excellent exposure.

11) Many of the business networking sites are very much like having a website. The ones below get excellent results.

Naymz: Over two million professionals manage their personal brand with Naymz
    LinkedIn | Relationships Matter
    MerchantCircle.com | Find new customers.

The listings on the above websites are permanent and don't have expirations. People can edit and delete whenever they want to.

Also frequently, local newspaper websites and local news websites will have places on them where a person can promote their business for free. Where I've listed locally is also permanent and editable. Have to do Internet searches in order to find them, unless they are listed elsewhere. I listed a new ad this past summer on one of them about deck cleaning and staining and within two hours I had a customer!

If there's a military base nearby, MilitaryAvenue.com | Supporting the Relocation, Travel, and Lifestyle Needs of the American Military Family is a great place to advertise for free. They'll even send out a packet of other free advertising stuff for anyone who advertises, even for advertising for free with them.

12) Without getting into it, since the topic of the free advertising places would be a whole new chapter in itself, most of the best free places on the Internet on which to advertise will also have pay packages available. I've never found it necessary to use the pay packages, though.

Part of what I do for a living and as a personal ministry, is to promote Christian ministries, music-oriented organizations and just businesses in general on the Internet. I've now started many websites, for myself as well as others. Have been doing that now for about six years. I'm very careful and selective about anything that I post on the Internet. I especially like helping the small businesses who are just getting started.

There is no guarantee that any website is going to be perfectly secure or perfect in any other ways no matter how they word their Privacy Policy or Terms of Service. That's life...

When a person runs a business, they have to be willing to take risks in order for the business to be successful. I've taken the risks associated with advertising in the local print media, like the Yellow Pages and various news publications. Those things all cost me money and didn't ever get me as fine of results for advertising as what I've placed on the Internet. In my experience, I've not had any notable problems with placing things on the Internet. I don't view using the Internet as an advertising resource as any more of a risk than advertising in the Yellow Pages or in the local print or other media. Think of the lawyers, insurance agents and Realtors, etc. who have information about themselves as well as their businesses posted on the Internet. Some spam in email is a small price to pay for excellent exposure and something that can be free to use, if a person chooses to use it in a free way.

Currently, am putting together a website as well as the Internet advertising for a fairly large security, investigation and surveillance firm in a nearby state. They also operate an armed guard service. They have had a website for a number of years and are listed on a gazillion other websites, not to mention in the Yellow Pages, Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau... However, what they have on the Internet isn't getting good exposure. They will have excellent exposure in short order...

The important thing is to just get started. Like I've mentioned previously, a person can also practice before something really gets published and goes public.

It works!

I do wish you and your husband well with your endeavor!

Thanks!
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Dec 10, 2010, 08:29 AM
    If you are tying to save money "Northwind_Dagas'" Advice is great. If you would like a website with high functionality, and a custom design, Look to a local Web Designer. You can find some at reasonable prices.

I buy my domains at godaddy, I host my domains with HostGator and use a "Content Management System" called Drupal to set up and create my custom websites. If you are a little savy with HTML, CSS.. visit Drupal.org. (It's pretty much along the lines of "Wordpress" or "Joomla")
    SoftMind Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 05:30 AM
    Hi there are a lot of web hosting provider available in market and its true that it is not easy to find a cheap and good provider easily but one thing that you can do is compare most of them and I have one site that have a list of best web hosting service provider. And the link I give you is http://www.hostyeah.com.
    I hope you can get your best form here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Late period, pregnancy,confused confused [ 2 Answers ]

On 1st Aug 09, I had a very painful period which came 12days late.Before the period came, I had unusually swollen breasts,cramping consistently, consistent headache and nausea. I have been trying for a baby in the last 12months.I have never used any pill, nor gotten pregnant before. My period is...

I'm really confused! [ 5 Answers ]

So, me and my ex boyfriend broke up 6 months ago after going out for 1 year, it was kind of both of our faults. I was depressed for like 2 months after the break up... I have a boyfriend now, and I don't have similar feelings to him, not even close. I was in love with my ex boyfriend and he was in...

Confused about what he wants. [ 4 Answers ]

I've searched the web for possible solutions to this problem but haven't really got any luck... hoping all you out there will be able to help me on this one :( I have been with my boyfriend for almost a year. I was forced to move out of my previous living arrangements due to an argument with my...

I'm very confused! [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I did a dum thing.I met this guy through my mom.Anyway he was with someone at the time. After a couple of months I found out he broke up with his girlfriend. I was scared to contact him because I thought he might say something to his mom.You know meeting someone through family you feel weird. I...

I'm confused [ 4 Answers ]

When me and my boyfriend started gettng serious I was turnd on all the time we would have sex all the time but now I don't really want to have sex anymore I'm not as turned on as I was. What could be wrong with me ? Would he leave for that? I also can never have an orgasm is it me or what?

View more questions Search