Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkrichardson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 02:14 PM
    I am a certified dance educator. What else can I do with these qualifications?
    I have an undergrad degree in dance education and teach at a public middle school. I am questioning my career choice, but don't know what else I could do with these qualifications. Obviously dancer/choreographer is a choice, but I am looking for something with a more substantial salary. Starving artist is not my thing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 02:24 PM

Get into an area of mental health counseling that encourages clients/patients (even seniors) to express themselves artistically through art, music, and dance. Thus, contact area hospitals (psych units) and mental health facilities. There are several near me (including a children's/teen facility) that would welcome you with open arms! If you teach classes as an independent contractor, you can set your own fee usually, or if you become a traveling dance teacher (traveling from hospital to hospital), you would work out your payment with the hospitals/clinics.

You yourself can promote this idea of using dance as a coping mechanism. Art and music are already widely used. Teach basic dance steps. Allow the client/patient to learn how his body moves, so that he can gain better control of thoughts and actions. Write newspaper articles about this along with flyers that you post in targeted places (like senior centers).

By the way, grad school offers courses to their future counselors/social workers in this too, so you could teach part of a course, "Counseling through the Expressive Arts: Dancing For Your Mental Health."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 06:47 PM

What do you want to do, what are some of your other interest

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

African Dance & Dance Therapy... is over 40 too old to learn and teach? [ 0 Answers ]

Peace! I'm 41 and in great physical health. I used to dance regularly, but after having children (three... two teenager and a toddler) I stopped for over ten years. After taking classes here locally, I was asked to teach because of my skills. I'm also into to energy healing and want to...

Dance Studios - more empahsis on dance or business [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding dance studios. I would like a sincere answer from someone who either owns or knows someone well who does own their own dance studio. It has been my experience that studios will put more emphasis on business rather than dance. The reason for this is I have seen good...

New educator credit [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know if the new educator expense adjustment, line 23, can be used by somebody teaching in an adult GED program? Frankly it is just one more bit of garbage added to the disgusting mess we call the income tax. At the most, it will only mean $125 to a few couples. Anybody that...

View more questions Search