Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jewlzz2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Should teachers grade students on participation and attendance?
    If so, why? If not, why?
    This is for my English essay.
    I'm not asking so I can get out easy, I'd just like to know y'all's opinions.
    Also, if you've had, or known, a teacher that does this, your story is much appreciated.
    :)
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Oct 17, 2010, 05:35 PM

I would say yes. I feel that both attendance and participation are necessary for learning.

I am not a teacher, but do work at a school. (IT Manager)
    Clemintine Posts: 105, Reputation: 30

Oct 17, 2010, 05:57 PM
    I've had a lot of teachers that do this, they pick favourites they like the kids that show up and participate with the class... when there is someone off or sort of hiding away they either think something is horribly wrong and strange with them or think they're a "bad apple"
    I think a lot of teachers from my childhood forgot how to be objective with they're grading, picked favourites and made excuses for why they would give one kid a bad mark and the other a better when they both put in the same amount of effort.
    I had a friend who went to university and the attitudes did not change, she left pretty quickly when it was clear they would not grade her well solely because she would not get up in front of the class and play "show and tell" to everyone with her artwork.
    I have a story: Once I had a team project for Spanish class in high school, I went over to my partners house and spent a whole week working on this thing... We handed it in and I remember getting an F for it, and my partner had gotten an A.
    I went up and asked her what happened, why did my partner get more than me... The teacher didn't even know what project I had worked on. I pulled her over to it (it was a massive poster board display) and said "This one! We spent a lot of time on this!" she looked at me and said "it can't be yours, your name isn't on it"
    I looked and low and behold my name was not on it, there was my partners name with a small dot under it as if she had started to write but stopped. I looked at my teacher and said "You know who you partnered together and i was put with her, you know it's ours even go ask her."
    The teacher refused to believe me or pursue the subject, even worse was the partner did not step forward even after confronting her about it she made an excuse "I asked you how to spell your name and you never told me so i forgot to write it, sorry"
    I was furious. MY artwork was all over that poster board, and she claimed it as her own work. I was graded a fail on that project and she got all the credit, I was clearly one of the "bad apples" simply because I was an artist and I drew on my jeans. I felt dejected like nobody would believe what had happened if I went to the principal, so I didn't even bother.
    Sorry... this subject is still really touchy for me, I hate this school system to it's core.
    I think attendance is necessary, but if you hand in all your homework and show you are understanding the subject material then what is the problem? Maybe you need to be put in advanced classes is the only thing I can think of really...
    And participation? I feel like being put in front of a class where you have to speak your presentation to everyone is nerve wracking. I knew kids who would go into a panic if they had to and end up failing because they wouldn't do it. In that case why wouldn't the teacher look they're project over separately and grade them based on this, or maybe just having a session with only the teacher and student where the kid does his presentation to them so it's less terrifying for them...
    There are other examples I could use and obviously like participating in doing labs in science is an important part of learning that subject. It depends on the situation to me...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 06:02 PM

While it sounds like a great idea on the surface, participation is not part of the grading process, learning is. A student who learns all content presented should get a 100% grade A even if he never opened his mouth once or did any group activity. How about a student who participates every day, every minute but scores 92%, should he get the same grade as the other student, my answer is no.
    tcs724 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2011, 06:43 AM
    I am a middle school teacher and although you technically are not permitted to grade a child based on attendance, it basically does become a part of their grades in other ways. For example, students are required to make up all missed assignments when absent, therefore a child who is habitually absent usually is unable to keep up with the mounting missed work, resulting in a zero for that assignment. Then, since they are missing lessons and practice with new concepts, they're test and quiz grades usually begin to suffer. So even though attendance is not factored into the grade, it does become a factor in their grade. As far as participation goes, I use it at a deciding factor when a child has a boderline grade. A child who participates more, shows more interest and effort is deserving of the higher grade.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 11:14 AM

This thread is getting old but I am sure we all can keep talking. Talk to your Principal about grading policies now and in the past. You will find a vast vagueness coming from his/her lips and it frequently boils down to the teachers decision on how and what will count toward a grade. The rest of us are just voicing our opinion.
    Cairnsy23 Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Dec 13, 2011, 11:03 PM
    You can't learn if you are not there and don't participate. It will affect your grade in the long run. Wouldn't want
    A parent to have to take responsibility and whoop some arse if their kid is not in school or acting like a goof.
    elizabeth1395 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
    I don't think its fair. I currently have a low grade in my Lit class because I was home sick, and she grades on attendance and participation. I can't participate when I'm at home with projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea. I got the damn homework done, why can't I have a good grade? Its bull**** to grade students by their immune system!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teachers spreading rumors about students [ 11 Answers ]

Is it against the law for teachers to spread rumors all over the school about a student if they have no proof in the matter?

View more questions Search