Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KHAS21 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 02:16 PM
    Vibrating Toilet and a Whistling Toilet
    My upstairs toilet flushes fine, but when it seems to be done it vibrates the floor. This doesn't happen every time, about 50% of the time.

The downstairs toilet when almost done flushing lets off this horrible whistling noise. This started a few weeks ago and it does it every time we flush.

Should I just call a professional or is this a simple fix we can do at home? I realize that simple and plumbing are probably not to be used in the same sentence, but I thought I might save myself some money.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 02:47 PM

The problem is either loose washer inside the angle valve, or the seal in fill valve, next time the noise starts open the angle valve under the toilet tank if the noise stops you have a loose washer in the angle valve, if the noise is still there, Remove the toilet tank lid see inside the tank what type of fill valve do you have see the images below and come back we will tell you how to fix it, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Oct 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
    What does the angle valve look like? We have the second picture fill valve.
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 03:42 PM

Hello Khas,

See the image below try open it all the until it stops, if that will not help come back and will tell you the next step, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Oct 18, 2010, 03:47 PM
    That appeared to do the trick on the whistling one. Haven't heard the vibrating noise since I posted. I did notice in our working toilet that water flows out the yellow thing on the top (pictured in the picture you have attached), but does NOT in the two that were making noise. Also, do I need to turn it back to where it was or is it OK to stay like that?

Oct 18, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Thank you for the help on this as well, I appreciate it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2010, 04:20 PM

Hello Khas,

Does the water coming out of the yellow bowl fill tube and the hose tube should be connected to the fill tube see the image below?
    If it is than this normal, If it is coming from the cap where the screws are then it is leaking from the cap you need to tighten the 3 screws if that would not help come back, and leave the angle valve where it is, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Oct 19, 2010, 07:12 PM
    The water in the "non-loud" toilet is coming out the top of the Fill Valve by the fill valve shaft. There is one screw on top of that can be tighted, but I don't see three screws anywhere. Do I tighten this screw to see if the water stops flowing up this way?

In the other "loud" toilets the water comes into the tank from the Tank Fill Tube. Clearly, plumbing is not my strong suit. Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2010, 07:35 PM

You may have a bad seal inside the fill valve, Can you take a picture and post it?

Tighten that screw and see what happens, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Walls vibrating after toilet flushed [ 1 Answers ]

When this toilet is flushed a violent vibration & noise occurs until the tank completes filling up. It's done this twice with several flushs in between.

Loud whistling toilet noise [ 11 Answers ]

Loud whistling toilet noise after the toilet is flushed and stops when it refills. Replaced everything inside the toilet already (water fill valve, flapper, braided steel line etc.) No other faucet, shower or toilet in the house makes any other kind of sound. Replaced the hot water heater recently...

Toilet whistling at odd times, not during flush. [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet is whistling. It does not whistle during a flush, or while filling it up. It does whistle when I shower, when the washing machine is used, when the neighbor downstairs uses water, and randomly at night. I changed the flapper but it still whistles. Whistling began after city came...

Whistling noise after flushing toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I flush the toilet I hear a whistling noise as the tank is filling. I do not hear this noise when using any other faucet

Loud whistling sound when toilet is flushed. [ 4 Answers ]

I have one toilet that for some reason, makes a loud whistling sound when I flush it. It starts to make this noise when the flapper drops down and the tank starts to fill up. This noise just started 3 days ago.

View more questions Search