Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mybro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Information on transferring a home to a son?
    My brother is 85 years old and wants to transfer his home to his son who has lived with him for many years.
    How can this be done without either one of them having to pay inheritance taxes?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2010, 02:34 PM

You could title it as joint or create a trust and place it in that or more. How is the house currently titled if you know and is any money owed on it right now?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Oct 18, 2010, 01:23 PM

You might want to consult an attorney who specializes in Senior affairs. I know where I live we have several attoneys who do just that,they set up trusts, living rights in the home, etc
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 11:41 AM

First, there are no inheritance taxes to worry about on this. But there is the possibility of having to pay a gift tax. If your brother gifts the house to his son he will have to file a gift tax return in April, but he will not actually owe any gift tax unless the value of the house exceeds $1 million, or unless he has previously filed gift tax returns and the sum of all previous filings plus this one exceeds the $1M lifetime exclusion. However, I agree with the previous posters that it is a good idea to consult an estate planning expert who can determine the best course of action to fulfill your brother's wishes, especially if the value of his estate (inlcuding this property) exceeds $1M.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ex-husband's girlfriend has been getting medical information about my son... [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-husband's 'girlfriend' came to my son's medical appointment, was given information and taken into my son's therapist to speak with although neither my nor I have signed any paperwork authorizing this. Is this legal? We live in California and share both legal and physical custody of our son.

How do I evict my son, girlfriend, and son from my home? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I currently have my son, girfriend and son living at our house. He is a recovering drug addict who still causes us trouble. He argues with us, me especially,and beats me up. Two weeks after open heart surgery, he threw me into a wall by pushing me in the chest. Just recently while I was...

My son and his girlfriend have been living in my home. . I want her out of my home. [ 2 Answers ]

A year ago I gave them lease papers demanding rent each. Neither one would sign the papers and threw them away. My son has managed to pay almost all of his but the girl friend hasn't even come close. She is a foul mouthed lazy troll. She wakes up yelling every day and calls all of us nasty names....

Transferring deed from mom to son [ 2 Answers ]

What documents are required to transfer a house from one party to another

Transferring home ownership. [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering if there is a way for my parents to transfer their home to me. The reason we are trying to transfer the house to me is that they will be retiring soon and will most likely leave the country with only occasional visits back to the states. People we've talked to thus far have...

View more questions Search