Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aekroeger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 11:54 AM
    Can someone help me out?
    I'm 18 and I got an apartment and it has a 1 year lease. I have a job that I have to work way more hours than I can handle or need. I feel lonely and trapped now that I am here. This isn't what independence is supposed to be. I need some way to make it through this year because I can't leave because of the lease. I don't want to just hear "stick with it" cause that's all that my friends say, I need some help finding a way to make it through. I am starting to slip back into my suicidal tendencies like I did years ago and I don't want to go though that again. Can anyone help me out?
    karilynngodd Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2010, 12:01 PM
    It might be best to try to find someone that can be a roommate if it's too much. It will cut the expenses in half and you would also have someone to hang out with honestly. :) Just don't go into suicidal tendencies that would just make things worse. I think the best thing to do would be getting a roommate especially if it's a year lease. I'm probably not much help but that's all I can really tell you. I have been living on my own until just recently and I hated being alone. I know the feeling..
    aekroeger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Thanks, I do have a roommate, but I still feel so alone. Were not able to talk about any deep stuff or anything and I feel more alone because of that. Expenses aren't a problem, but I can't change my hours at work for 3 months and I don't know how to cope with this. I know I sound immature and all, and I guess I am. I'm 18 and have no idea what I can do when I sink this low without a support system. I know no one can help me if I don't help myself, but I just wish someone could help me find tools to help myself... I don't know...
    karilynngodd Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Well I know what its like... I'm only 20 and was on my own until 6 months ago. No you do not sound immature. The only thing you can really do is try to take it easy and keep calm and not go into a depression. I would say you could talk to me anytime but you really don't know me at all. With the support thing you just need someone who's not just going to be telling you "stick with it". They should understand that you are having a hard time with it and be there for you when you need someone to talk to. That is what "friends" are supposed to do... be there for each other when one is down. You just need to keep your spirit up and you will get through it. What kind of hours are you working if you don't mind me asking? You don't have to tell me or anything. I was working 2 jobs.. one full one part-time, going to school, and raising 2 kids for someone else when I was 16 so I definitely know how it is with working a ****load.

The only thing I can really say without knowing you is to just always think you have a better life than others. And you are doing what you have to do the legal way in order to survive in the world which is way more than you can say for many 18yr olds.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 07:09 PM

Make goals. Like in 3 months you can change your work schedule. Mark off the days on a calendar and plan a celebration for when you can make the change.

Put money aside for that house you're going to buy one day.

Keep putting one foot in front of the other and whenever you can, treat yourself to a massage or something you enjoy.

Make a list of all the good things in your life. I make myself a gratitude list whenever I'm feeling like the world has turned black and gray.

See a Psychiatrist and explore anti-depressants. I thought this was a stupid idea... Then I got on a medication that really, really helped.

Remember, the deeper the hole you've fallen into, the brighter it will be when you climb out of it. And you will get out! Yes, this too will pass.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 18, 2010, 05:34 AM

However busy you are make time to have at least one 'you-time' a day. It doesn't have to take long. A mug of hot chocolate. Time spent watching a sunset. A soak in the bath. Listening to a favourite song. During that time, however short, just focus on the pleasure of the moment and try to switch off the stresses of the day even if only for a short time. Make it a habit to always give yourself something like this every day no matter how busy you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search