Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lantus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2010, 07:44 PM
    Ground wire to Hot tub
    When I hook up the ground wire to the bar on the hot tub it trips the GFI but when I run it without the ground its runs but gives a little shock when you come in contact with a object outside the tub. I dubble checked the wireing from the main to the GFI and it is wired to spec, is there a fult with the mother board on the hot tub that keeps the ground from being hooked up. Bill
    poolman64 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2010, 04:20 PM

My guess is you have an actual ground fault within the spa. The GFI is sensing this fault, and doing what it was designed to do. The comment about "getting a little shock" is of great concern. Electricity and water are a very poor combination at best. You need to shut this spa down and have it repaired before someone is injured or killed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 04:50 PM

I agree with poolman, this is dangerous. We can't diagnois the fault from here and I thnk you need a hot tub repair person or an electrician
    Chevy465 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Oct 21, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Hello there. I do repair and install spa's. From my experience, when it is the ground wire tripping the GFI usually the problem is with the GFI itself. Is it a manufactures GFI, if so replace the unit with a higher load capacity. With the shock problem, check your insulation at every connection. A motherboard would not cause this problem when properly insulated.
    poolman64 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Oct 21, 2010, 07:26 PM
    Just keep in mind you are playing "You bet your Life" so how you handle this is certainly your choice. If you are not comfortable with changing out the GFCI and checking all the wire connections, I would pay a professional to do this for you.

Oct 22, 2010, 07:34 AM
    Comment on Chevy465's post
    I tested the gfi and it works,it is working the way it should, when I said a little shock , what I mean is its like when u rub your feet on a rug. It did not always do this. I evan try a ground rod stright to the tub and it still trips.

Oct 22, 2010, 07:40 AM
    Comment on Chevy465's post
    IT calls for a dubble 50 so should I try a higher load, I was thinging that the span is 100 to 120 FT and that the ground may be to small

Oct 22, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Comment on poolman64's post
    Thanks and I did shut it down till

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 6/3 plus ground be used to wire hot tub indoors [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring in a Hot Tub. I sent my brother to the electrical supply store and told him I need 100' of 6/4 wire. He came home with 6/3 plus ground NM wire. The ground doesn't need to be shielded wire to feed a GFI as long as it is indoors does it?

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

How can I use an older 3 wire 220 circuit for a 4 wire hot tub [ 6 Answers ]

Can I somehow use an existing 3 wire 220 volt circuit to power a 4 wire hot tub? Running a new 4 wire circuit back to the main panel will be long and difficult. I have nearby access to an old 3 wire sub panel once used for an air conditioner. This original circuit is missng the ground wire.

View more questions Search