Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Potty training advice
    I am trying to potty train my two year old son before the next addition arrives in may. He has gone on occasion, if I catch him in time. But he doesn't always tell me when he needs to go. Sometimes he tells me after he has gone, but not before. And I don't know whether I should ask him like every hour if he needs to go, or how I should go about this. Any advice on how to get this potty training in gear?
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2007, 05:51 PM
    No advice here?
    dxviii Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Jan 4, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Well I am in the same boat. Remember they are two and still learning. It is a training process not only for the mind but for the body as well. Learning when to hold, release, etc, then make the choice what to do?

I have a two year old daughter and she will be three in August. She is doing well. We found if you let them have control and not force them, discipline, and fuss it makes them want to learn. Also try singing the potty song. We have a potty chart and she gets a sticker for all the times she goes and a X for every time she has an accident. Set a goal for amount of X's and if they beat the goal reward them with a $1 or $2. They like to shop for toys at Wal-Mart. :)

I hope this helps. The key is to be patient and make it fun or like a game. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 07:45 PM
    The advice we got was take him and sit them on the pot at regular times.

But honestly, it was not until he was around some slightly older kids who was already trained, he came home that next day and was almost trained from that day on,

He just decided it was time. Just don't get mad, don't threaten,
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Thank you everyone for the advice. Its easy to feel a bit overwhelmed with big devepmental steps like this and how to help your child best meet the challenge. Its nice to have some advice.
    thespababe Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by buggage
    I am trying to potty train my two year old son before the next addition arrives in may. He has gone on occasion, if I catch him in time. But he doesnt always tell me when he needs to go. Sometimes he tells me after he has gone, but not before. and I dont know whether I should ask him like every hour if he needs to go, or how I should go about this. Any advice on how to get this potty training in gear?
    I helped my girlfriend potty train her daughter. First buy the trainer undies that help them to feel what wet is. Then the real trick is setting a schedule that you follow. My girlfriend found it most helpful to limit where in the house her daughter could go. By keeping her close by she was able to spot potential signs of her child's need to go to the potty.
    Don't beat yourself up if it seems like it isn't working or if you didn't catch him in time because this is tough for every mother and it really takes time and sometimes it depends greatly on the age of the child too. As Jaysun mentions, it can happen overnight. If you have a spouse I have found it really helps if the men do it together. Good Luck!
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Thank you! Yes, I send him in with my hubby when he goes to the bathroom, so that my son can see how it is done, and hopefully the fact that Daddy does it, will make it more appealing. Thank you so much for the suggestions. We are planning on buying some pull ups tonight. Thanks again
    seeking a solution Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 10:57 PM
    I have three boys one that's 30 one 17 and one 13 they say girls are easier to train I don't know about that. With mine they were easier in the summer for some reason with a small pool in the yard and being equipped with outdoor pluming they took off. But I happen to use a tissue target and made it fun to go inside by drawing a bunch of silly faces on a sheet of toilet tissue and dropping them into the toilet for a target to aim at. Now a mommy has invented the tinkle target and is making a bundle. I did train many toddlers as a day care mom so I hope this helps you.
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 26, 2007, 06:19 PM
    I am an infant/toddler educator and would like to suggest talking to your health department or checking out zerotothree.org website. Also, inorder to help your child potty train I would recommend you have a schedule in place - every hour going to the potty. Also, never to shame or humiliate them if they had an accident. Rewards scare me because they may do it perfectly, however may regress later. Reading stories about potty training are great or letting them change their dolls. Potty training can be fun for a child/parent if you are more relaxed. In my experience, children regress if things are going on at home or if they are forced in going to the potty.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 06:58 PM
    My son is a bit older than yours, but I had this same issue a while back. I got a lot of good advice. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/parent...ing-28721.html
    I praised and rewarded my son to the highest... It paid off too...

Happy Potty Training! I wish you both the best of luck!
    Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty training advice? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to potty train my two year old son before the next addition arrives in may. He has gone on occasion, if I catch him in time. But he doesn't always tell me when he needs to go. Sometimes he tells me after he has gone, but not before. And I don't know whether I should ask him like every...

Potty training advice etc. [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a American Cocker spaniel puupy for 3 weeks now. She was purchased from a pet store and had been there for one month. I have never owned a puppy before and this has been quite a challenging few weeks. "Zoe" has gone through a few stages in these weeks; from absolutely no control and...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search