Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aharmel0340 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
    how do you find the net force when the velocity is not constance meaning that acceler
    how do you find the net force when the velocity is not constance meaning that acceleration is not zero

a= .3 m/s2 m=15kg
    kpg0001 Posts: 88, Reputation: 12

Oct 14, 2010, 06:45 PM

Force is equal to mass times acceleration. F=ma. So if this is all that it gives you then the object has a force of .3*15 which is 4.5N. Your question is strange because you can only have a force when the velocity is not constant or in other words, when there is an acceleration.

Oct 14, 2010, 06:58 PM
    Comment on kpg0001's post
    15kg box is released on a 32˚ incline and accelerates down the incline at .3 m/s2 find the friction force impeding its motion. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Oct 14, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Comment on kpg0001's post
    There is an acceleration! 3 m/s2

Oct 14, 2010, 08:27 PM

I knew there was more to it. Kinetic friction equals the normal force times the coefficient.(f=un). So first find the normal force. Since it is on a slope of 32, the force of gravity is not acting on it straight down, but at mgcos32=n=122.6. The force of friction is in the x direction. F(x)=mgsin32-friction. From the info given, the 15kg block is accelerating at .3m/s^2 which means the F(x) is equal to 4.5N. From this you have 4.5=81.1-friction. Friction=76.6. So then you go back to friction=normal(coefficient of friction), plug in the numbers, 76.6=122.6(u), u=.625(THESE CALCULATIONS WERE DONE IN RADIANS NOT DEGREES I'M SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. THE THEORY IS CORRECT BUT THE NUMBERS ARE NOT. I POSTED THE STEPS TO SOLVE THIS TWO POSTS UP!)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2010, 06:53 AM

I wonder you are taking the value of g as how much... I'm using 10 m/s^2 and 9.8 m/s^2 and am getting values a little different from yours... =/

Oct 15, 2010, 07:46 AM

Well lets look at the calculations without values. I wish I knew how to put all the correct symbols in! Fk=kinetic friction u=coefficent of kinetic friction n=normal force Fx=forces in the x direction Fy=forces in the y direction and a=angle. Fk=u(n). Fy=n=mgcos(a), Fx=mgsin(a)-Fk. It gives you the value of Fx because it tells you the objects mass and acceleration in the x direction. So solve for Fk. Fk=mgsin(a)-Fx. Then solve for u. u=Fk/n.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2010, 07:51 AM

Try having a look at the mimetex tutorial for LaTeX for the forum :)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...las-50415.html

Oct 15, 2010, 07:59 AM

Oh thanks that's helpful! And thanks for checking my work, though it is a bit embarrassing to make such a simple mistake. I keep having to change it from radians to degrees for different classes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Find Net Force [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so I have an object and they tell me to first find the net force, I know net force means the sum of all forces, they say that the mass of the object is 1.0kg, and it travells ant 5.0m/s and that it enters a region of ice where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.10(that part confuses...

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

How to determine net force with one force missing? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I determine the net force of an object when the force on one side of the object is unknown. If the force pushing against this the object on the left side is 50N, and the force pushing againsts the right side which is unknown(f2) Then how do I get fnet?

Velocity and net force of diver [ 1 Answers ]

I have a physics problem that states a 65 kg swimmer dives off a 10 m high dive What is the velocity when impacting the water and the swimmer comes to a stop 2.o m below the surface find the net force exerted by the water I am completely lost I do not anyone to complete the problem for me ...

Velocity and average force [ 1 Answers ]

A person jumps from the roof of a house 4.2 m high. When he strikes the ground below, he bends his knees so that his torso decelerates over an approximate distance of 0.70 m. The mass of his torso (excluding legs) is 42 kg. (a) Find his velocity just before his feet strike the ground. ____m/s...

View more questions Search